Adults that need to be named on a tenancy agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adults that need to be named on a tenancy agreement

I have a family of a husband, wife, two children aged 18 and 15 (the 18 year old is about to go to university) and an elderly mother who want to rent a house. From everything I have read, all adults need to be listed on the tenancy agreement. Why is this legally? In the this case the husband wants to be the only person named because he is the only wage earner but I am saying the wife needs to be named too because I think the wife is equally liable for other aspects of the tenancy such as upkeep of the property. I am less certain about the now adult son (who will be going away anyway) and the mother-in-law (in her 80s). Please could someone tell me if she needs to be named and if so why so I can justify my reasoning. Thanks

1. It's untrue that all adults need to be listed on the tenancy agreement. Where did you read this?
    2. However, L is entitled and usually advised to ensure that:
    a. H+W; and
    b. all potential tenants who are adults and earners (2/3/4 in quantity)
    ought to be named as the joint and several tenants if all are going to be occupying the premises.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks - I read it anywhere that talks about who should go on a tenancy agreement and it always says all adults but never says why. Would the Mother-in-Law have to be "declared" anywhere as a resident? What do you mean by 2/3/4 or is this wife, son, mother?

Comment

If L lets to more than four people, only the first four can hold title as tenants. People5+ cannot. At most:
        a. L could allow them to co-occupy with people1-4, as licencees; or
        b. people1-4 could allow them to co-occupy with them, as sub-tenants or licencees.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X