X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by keiroha View Post

My question is this:- what are the legal ramifications of allowing the tenant to remain in residence after the notice period whilst the house has not sold?
    It's a s.21(4)(a) notice (for periodic ASTs).

A s.21 notice does not end the tenancy, nor oblige the T to leave, it merely entitles the LL to apply to the court for possession after the notice expires. The LL has no obligation to apply for possession and, until he obtains and enforces a possession order, the tenancy just continues as before.

Note that, if T paid a deposit, and if the tenancy was created or renewed on or after 6th April 2007, then the deposit must be protected before LL can serve a valid s.21 notice.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    A section 21 notice does not bring a tenancy to an end. You can allow the tenant to continue in occupation (indeed you cannot really do otherwise if he does not go) and carry on collecting rent. Once the notice has expired you can apply to the court for an order for possession if the tenant has not left.

Leave a comment:

• keiroha
    started a topic Can Tenant remain after Section 21

Can Tenant remain after Section 21

Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice. I've decided to try and sell the house that I am renting out. I started renting it when the housing market collapsed and I was unable to sell. The tenant has been excellent and were I to continue renting, I would be more than happy for them to stay. The tenant is aware of the situation and has been really co-operative. I am about to serve a Section 21(4) notice which they are expecting to receive.

My question is this:- what are the legal ramifications of allowing the tenant to remain in residence after the notice period whilst the house has not sold?

Thanks for any advice
    Keith

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Selling to tenants
    by Hudson01
    The original arrangement with the tenants, was it ia fully managed or tenant find only arrangement ? I have done this a few times on a tenant find basis and let all my AST's go periodic (so the tenants stay), i have paid zero to every agent, and they have never been knocking asking for any money.
    26-01-2022, 16:36 PM
  • Selling to tenants
    by r3drover
    Hi, hoping you good people may be able to give me some advice 🙂

i have a rental property that I am now looking to sell. I am interested in selling to my tenants and have been looking at my contract with my letting agents to see if there are any consequences of this.

There’s...
    26-01-2022, 16:27 PM
  • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
    by Flashback1966
    With regards to keep or sell. Those 4 properties are not just assets, but you need to see them as say children, which need looking after. You can't switch off because you are busy. It is 24/7 responsibility, as you are responsible for the property and the health and safety of the people living. If...
    26-01-2022, 14:23 PM
  • Inherited a few rentals
    by Landlord7289
    Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
    25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
    by Flashback1966
    Almost anything beats working for a living.

Running a portfolio is just as demanding and stressful. If someone worked in an office, it is a 9 to 5 job. Their taxes are paid by their employer.

Running a portfolio of properties, can be demanding. Even with agents in place....
    26-01-2022, 13:46 PM
    by jpkeates
    Almost anything beats working for a living.

Becoming a landlord because you've inherited some property makes about as much sense as inheriting several cars and setting up a taxi business.
    26-01-2022, 13:19 PM
    by theartfullodger
    Well, unless one was a masocist. Been retired 14 years now, those memories of work fading also....
    26-01-2022, 12:53 PM
  • Reply to Renting process
    by theartfullodger
    Very true, becoming more common I hear....
    26-01-2022, 12:51 PM
  • Renting process
    by Smudge
    Hi all. So im going through the process of renting a house. Arranged a viewing with the landlord, said i would like to rent and go to next step. LL said letting agent would be in touch i was told to fill in a APPLICATION which was just very basic info. Personal details landlord ref and work info etc....
    25-01-2022, 18:16 PM
  • Reply to Renting process
    by DPT57
    Or a scammer!
    26-01-2022, 12:42 PM
Working...
X