raising the rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raising the rent

Is there a formal way of applying for an increase in the rent? There are two reasons for this.
    Although I have good tenants who have been there 4 years I have had to pay a man to tidy the garden as they seem incapable of doing this.
    In addition I have incurred a huge cost in getting rid of the dampness. When the builders started work we found that a floor was rotten as well. I was not aware of this damp problem and had no reason to doubt the efficiency of the previously inserted injection damp course.
    Louise

What(if anything) does your tenancy agreement say about rent increases?
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

If the tenancy is now a statutory periodic tenancy, you can either negotiate a new tenancy agreement with the tenant, or use the s13 process. The s13 wording is here: http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content...3&filesize=357

Of course, (as thesaint suggests) your tenancy agreement may have clauses that over-rule s13.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction

Comment

Originally posted by baranduin View Post
          Is there a formal way of applying for an increase in the rent? There are two reasons for this.
          Although I have good tenants who have been there 4 years I have had to pay a man to tidy the garden as they seem incapable of doing this.
          In addition I have incurred a huge cost in getting rid of the dampness. When the builders started work we found that a floor was rotten as well. I was not aware of this damp problem and had no reason to doubt the efficiency of the previously inserted injection damp course.
          Louise
          What does the contract say about rent increases?

Just because you have been forced to make expensive repairs does not mean that you can expect your tenants to pay for it. These repairs are part of your operating costs and should have been anticipated when setting rent rates at the onset of your 'business'.

As for the untidy garden, have you mentioned it to them to allow an opportunity to do it themselves?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Annex
            by Dreamingofsea
            As said above - This is a grey area. Probably It can not be a lodger s agreement just sharing a washing machine .It could be as Artful said common tenancy a non-assured short hold (little advantage since you have to evict through a court possession order and there is no accelerated process and you...
            18-09-2021, 17:02 PM
          • Annex
            by Lammas13
            I have a self contained annex, it has kitchen, shower, toilet and own entrance from the alleyway.
            when we bought our house it was already there. It was build with proper planning permission.
            How do I go about renting it out. Washing machine would have to be shares in the main house. ...
            15-09-2021, 17:44 PM
          • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
            by royw
            I use cheap carpet over good underlay everywhere.
            18-09-2021, 16:57 PM
          • Typical lifetime of carpets
            by davett
            I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
            17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
          • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
            by Moderator2
            Hooper,

Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
            1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
            18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
          • Tenant references are a joke.
            by Hooper
            I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

I got two replies two days apart.

The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
            17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
            by jpkeates
            The underlay is the key.
            At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
            18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
            by jpucng62
            Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
            18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
          • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
            by jpkeates
            There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
            The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
            If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
            18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
          • MCOL & PCOL
            by OS7
            Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
            04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
          Working...
          X