Serving s.8 Notice- unpaid rent plus breach of obligations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three threads by the same member have been merged here. Please do not start a new thread if you merely wish to continue a previous discussion or report on subsequent developments. It can cause unnecessary confusion (quite apart from losing the connection with facts previously established or legal points previously explained).

Comment

Hello again...

Ok...im setting out my reasons for possession on PCOL i know its a bit early but i want to get all the jargon right...is this the way i should answer that question?

Possession is sought under ground 8, and/or 10 and/or 11 of Schedule 2 Housing Act 1988 as amended by Housing Act 1996

Ground 8:
      Both at the date of the service of the notice under section 8 of this Act relating to the proceedings for possession and at the date of the hearing-
      a) if rent is payable weekly or fortnightly, at least eight weeks rent is unpaid:
      b) if rent is payable monthly, at least two months rent is required;
      c) if rent is payable quarterly, at least one quarters rent is more than three months in arrears; and
      d) if rent is payable yearly, at least three months rent is more than three months in arrears;
      and for the purpose of this ground "rent" means rent lawfully due from the tenant.

The Tenant pays rent every month, and at least 2 months rent is unpaid. The monthly rent being £500, and the total outstanding rent being £1000

Ground 10:
      Some rent lawfully due from the tenant-
      a) is unpaid on the date on which the proceedings for possession are begun;
      b) except where the subsection (1)(b) of section 8 of this Act applies, was in arrears at the date of the service of the notice under that section relating to those proceedings.

The Tenant owes £1000 which is rent lawfully due and is unpaid on the date on which this notice is served. This is increasing at a rate of £16.42 per day

Ground 11:
      Whether or not any rent is in arrears on the date on which proceedings for possession are begun, the tenant has persistently delayed paying rent which has become lawfully due."

The Tenant has persistently delayed paying the full rent due, inspite of reminders requesting full payment.

would the above be acceptable on PCOL as there is no more info i can put regarding that question.

many thanks for all your info

Comment

BRILLIANT!!!!

Ive cut and paste all the info as above and put it onto the PCOL form and its telling me there is way too many words????? how can i miss any out when its all required??

thanks again

Comment

Hello again ..

this is how i intend to answer the question on reasons for possession on the PCOL form:

Possession is sought under ground 8, and/or 10 and/or 11 of Schedule 2 Housing Act 1988 as amended by Housing Act 1996

Ground 8:
          The Tenant pays rent every month, and at least 2 months rent is unpaid. The monthly rent being £500, and the total outstanding rent being £1000

Ground 10:
          The Tenant owes £1000 which is rent lawfully due and is unpaid on the date on which this notice is served. This is increasing at a rate of £16.42 per day

Ground 11:
          The Tenant has persistently delayed paying the full rent due, inspite of reminders requesting full payment.

Can anyone clarify for me that this is the correct format please

many thanks in advance

Comment

You need also to tabulate amounts due (and dates) on one side; and amounts actually paid (and dates) on the other side.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi Jeffery thanks for the response

is this the way it should be set out?

Ground 8:

Ground 10:

Ground 11:

Reason for charg amount date-due amount-paid date-paid
              monthly rent 500 11-07-2010 500 11-07-2010
              monthly rent 500 11-08-2010
              monthly rent 500 11-09-2010
              totals 1500 500

not sure PCOL will let me fit that in but i will give it a go...

Thanks again

Comment

Hi

my last post with figures tabulated bunched the figures together...it wouldnt let me do them properly spaced...hopefully PCOL will let me space properly for clarity

thanks again!

Comment

PCOL has a section already set up where you simply put rent due etc in preconfigured boxes.
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

yes saint

thats what i thought but an earlier post says it should be tabulated...is that neccessary as the info should already be on the form...and also on the rent arrears letter that i have it is tabulated

thanks

Comment

FROM BAD TO WORSE!

Hello again..

I drove past my property on saturday night of this week and the windows had been left open. I turned up sunday morning and they were still open..so i went around the back and the back door was wide open so i entered the house.

The tenant was not in the property (6 am sunday morning and doesnt work) so i had a look around for any evidence of his whereabouts, I found some paperwork to the benefits which he had blatantly lied on and a seperate tenancy agreement with a forged signature supposedly from myself!!..I secured the property and left it secured.

I visited the property today and the neighbour told me that the police raided the house to arrest the tenant on breach of probation and is serving a 28 day sentance for drug dealing (although i dont know if its from my property)
                      they also told me that because the house had been left unlocked (by the police I believe) people had entered the house and stolen various items

Due to the fact my signature has been forged on various pieces of paperwork I have now removed all paperwork from the house including the original tenancy agreement signed by myself.

Due to the fact I have not recieved any rent, the tenant is in prison and he has forged my signature to lie to the benefits agencies and he does not have an original signed tenancy agreement what should my next move be??.

Many Thanks

Comment

See this very long thread (several merged together) on the subject of what happens when T goes to prison.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=6974

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to My legal rights about an Inspection
                          by doobrey
                          I think the main cause of the problem here is whoever is insisting that tenant cannot be in the property at the same time as the surveyor (or indeed "surveyor").

I have used various tradesmen during the pandemic and nobody has suggested that residents of the property should vacate....
                          04-12-2021, 17:21 PM
                        • My legal rights about an Inspection
                          by thegypsyking
                          Hi all, I am a tenant who s on a Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The agreement is for 6 months, i have already made an upfront payment for 6 months. Its been couple of months since i moved. My landlord wants to inspect to the flat next week by surveyors, but without me being involved. He wrote me that due...
                          03-12-2021, 23:53 PM
                          by bobthebuilder2
                          your landlord wants to "inspect", but its actually an estate agent surveyor who will be there for 3 hours ? careful, sounds like the landlord might be gearing up to sell it.
                          usually an inspection is a 10min walk around checking on how you are keeping it, if smoke alarms work and if anything...
                          04-12-2021, 17:16 PM
                        • Reply to Advice request: T claiming for broken door
                          by DPT57
                          I should think that this has been resolved now as it was over 7 months ago....
                          04-12-2021, 17:11 PM
                        • Advice request: T claiming for broken door
                          by Jdhanna6
                          Morning All
                          Would appreciate your wisdom on an issue with a tenant. He is generally a good T but has just asked me to cover the costs of an emergency locksmith he called on a Sunday evening. The charge is ridiculous (nearly 300 quid). A door handle on a bedroom broke, trapping him inside (there...
                          26-04-2021, 08:48 AM
                        • Reply to help please...
                          by DPT57
                          You might also ask for a copy of their original references unless you have the report already....
                          04-12-2021, 17:06 PM
                        • help please...
                          by john19
                          Hi all,

I have an estate agent collecting rent for me on a few properties (there not doing anything else, the tenants call me direct with any issues) and i am about to take this on myself to save the fees, the estate agents have agreed to this and have agreed to redo the tenancy agreement...
                          04-12-2021, 09:58 AM
                        • Reply to Advice request: T claiming for broken door
                          by alice123
                          A locksmith wont get out of bed for less than 100 pounds and if it was a Sunday evening even higher,

As this tenant has been a good tenant I would just pay up but make sure you get the receipt from the locksmith, as it may cause some friction between your good tenant and yourself , i assume...
                          04-12-2021, 17:04 PM
                          by DPT57
                          My point really is that approaching this from a rightsist standpoint is likely to escalate the tension. I agree that 3 hours would be unreasonable, but its not going to take that. I'd be amazed if it was more than about 20 minutes. The landlord sounds like a bit of an arse, but it also sounds like he's...
                          04-12-2021, 17:00 PM
                          by theartfullodger
                          Exactly, quite. Impasse, sounds like both parties won't agree.

I merely ask... will you ever need a reference from landlord?

Good luck
                          04-12-2021, 16:49 PM
                        Working...
                        X