urgent help needed - giving notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

urgent help needed - giving notice

I am buying a house and need to give notice on the rented house Ive lived in for 4yrs. I hope to be completed by 30th sept and move out by then.

Thing is my (otherwise excellent) LL has been a bit lax sending out the ASTs and I've not signed one for over a yr so I presumed I just gone on to periodic tenancy which was great for me as I could just give 30days.

Last AST was due to be signed 30th July but it didn't materialise but has just dropped through the postbox! Unlike other ASTs I've had on this property this one if for 1 yr rather than 6months. Obviously I've not signed it but it is back-dated to 30th July.

So what I'm asking is am I still ok to give 30days and ask for pro-rata if move overruns?

You can give 1 months notice, but that notice must expire on the last day of a tenancy period - usually the same day of the month as your last AST expired.

An overstay could leave you liable for another months rent, presuming the rent is shown as a monthly amount on that last AST.

The unsigned 12 month AST will not effect this.

Comment

Many thanks for your prompt reply Snorkerz - its as I expected just don't want to leave on bad terms with my LL.

cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by kittenface View Post

So what I'm asking is am I still ok to give 30days
        You must give at least one (calendar) month's notice - not 30 days - in a periodic tenancy.

Comment

So if say for instance T gives notice on 16th of the month, does that mean that they would need to leave the property by 15th of the following month or 16th? THe tenancy is periodic BTW

Comment

By midnight of the 15th. The 16th would be the start of a new monthly period.
            I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
              You can give 1 months notice, but that notice must expire on the last day of a tenancy period - usually the same day of the month as your last AST expired.

An overstay could leave you liable for another months rent, presuming the rent is shown as a monthly amount on that last AST.

The unsigned 12 month AST will not effect this.
              Read as The unsigned 12 month AST will not Affect this; an inoperative document cannot effect [= do/make] anything, no matter what it affects.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X