Furnished or unfurnished? What does 'furnished' include?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderator1
    replied
    Several largely similar questions on separate threads have been merged into this thread (hence the repetitive nature of answers).

Leave a comment:

• alexmaark
    replied
    Rent statement, "empty"means has been to paint the walls, this is it. No carpets, curtains or white goods. Have little or no demand for unfurnished property market in the short-term AST.

Leave a comment:

• jfmaj
    replied
    Furnished or unfurnished

What are the relative advantages and disadvantages of letting a place furnished or unfurnished? Am in the process of letting out a flat and budget is short so unfurnished seems a good idea. Also tenants who've moved their own furniture in may stay longer. Incidentally It already has white goods, microwave, and built in wardrobes -does that mean it is technically part furnished?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Just have a full & complete inventory done at start & end of tenancy.. following the standard processes good (ah, but how to find one..) agents and sensible landlords follow...

Suggest also lots of photos or video..

Leave a comment:

• newlandlord2011
    replied
    Furnishings in a furnished apartment

Hello everyone,

I read through (some of admittedly - there were over 100 replies and I got a bit lost!) a thread that dates back to 2007 with regards to what constitutes a furnished/unfurnished apartment.

As I will (eventually) be a non-resident landlord (am currently working through the tax/HRMC info), and unlikely to be returning for a few years - apart from periodic returns to see my family, I'd be quite happy to leave behind kitchen utensils such as plates; pans; cutlery; kettle; toaster etc.. my question is - if a plate (or other item) were to be broken, would it be up to me to replace it?

From what I gather, this would be the case but just want some clarity. As a first time landlady to be, I thought it would be 'nice' for me to leave such things for my tenants to use. None of them are particularly expensive/of any sentimental value to me and I don't expect (perhaps I am being naive) tenants to have a full complement of kitchenware!

What are your thoughts on this? Is it more hassle than its worth? Can I write a clause in the AST that says that tenants will have to replace at their own cost certain items?

Thanks in advance for your responses

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    See some guidance...
    http://www.lettingsinventoryclerk.co.uk/9.html

Interesting that it depends on expectations based on tenants - so couple with 10 screaming kids under 12 would be expected to "wear 'n tear" more that one quiet single 65-yr old spinster...

Which is yours??

Leave a comment:

• Springfields
    replied
    What type is it and whats wrong?

Leave a comment:

• HMOLandlord
    replied
    Accepted Life Expectancy of items in a furnished property (Wear & Tear)

Hello

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the accepted life expectancy of items like carpets, laminate flooring, blinds, sofas etc are? I have a small disagreement with a tenant regarding blinds which are only a couple of years old and I believe a good quality blind should have a life expectancy of at least 8 years plus?

Strange question I know

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• p_cas
    replied
    Originally posted by realestateagentsarecrap View Post
    .............We have suspected a gas leak and have reported it 7 days ago and followed up many times since but no repsonse from the real estate..........
    I'm amazed that anyone who suspects a gas leak would try contacting an estate agent and then wait 7 days??? If you honestly suspect a leak there's an emergency number to ring, 0800 111 999

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Originally posted by realestateagentsarecrap View Post
    we are having the same problem but from the tenant side.
    We have asked the real estate to inspect the oven several times each week and they just say that they need to get in touch with the landlord.

The gas stove tops dont work. The timer has been taken out and just doesnt exist, and the knobs for temperature and fan aren't accurate and only work on one setting.

We have suspected a gas leak and have reported it 7 days ago and followed up many times since but no repsonse from the real estate.

So from a tenants view, I would personally say to inspect the oven first before replacing or jumping to conculsions.
    I suspect you are in the US? You are extremely welcome here, but be aware that this site is for the English/Welsh market, where laws are almost certainly different.

In the UK a gas leak would be attended to within 1 hour by the gas company.

Leave a comment:

• Solent Watcher
    replied
    Was a working gas cooker part of the inventory? Completely unacceptable from my perspective to give tenants a cooker that does not work and may in itself be unsafe. Certainly a "working" gas cooker is part of the gassafe check!! Do you hold a current Gassafe certificate if yes what was the date? If you suspect a gas leak the Agent has a "legal duty" to deal with it he cannot ignore. Suggest put it in writing and take it to him or post with certifcate of posting or better (although a bit more expensive!!) recorded delivery. Give him a maximum of 24 hours to deal then if no action go to the local council and report both the problem and the fact that the agent has refused to do anything about it.

At the end of the day this about your well being.

Leave a comment:

• realestateagentsarecrap
    replied
    we are having the same problem but from the tenant side.
    We have asked the real estate to inspect the oven several times each week and they just say that they need to get in touch with the landlord.

The gas stove tops dont work. The timer has been taken out and just doesnt exist, and the knobs for temperature and fan aren't accurate and only work on one setting.

We have suspected a gas leak and have reported it 7 days ago and followed up many times since but no repsonse from the real estate.

So from a tenants view, I would personally say to inspect the oven first before replacing or jumping to conculsions.

Leave a comment:

• sportbilly
    replied
    Letting agent contacted me to say landlord would deliver between 4.30-5.30 today.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by sportbilly View Post
    Well, I was promised furniture by 5.30pm today, and surprise surprise it's now 6.15 and no furniture! More wasted hours..... Ahhhhh
    I thought you said it was coming on/by Friday?

Leave a comment:

• sportbilly
    replied
    Well, I was promised furniture by 5.30pm today, and surprise surprise it's now 6.15 and no furniture! More wasted hours..... Ahhhhh

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X