Furnished or unfurnished? What does 'furnished' include?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thomo
    replied
    It was listed in the inventory but not said if repair or replace by LL. Yes good idea I will inspect the cooker and take it from there, however if/when I suggest a fix/refurb they maybe happy to replace with new themselves, and to be honest my instinct thinks there is nothing wrong with the cooker apart from being on the cheaper side of the scale mind not that cheap £200 brand new not 3 years ago, my worry is what next wont they like ... washing machine, fridge freezer.... etc...etc

Leave a comment:

• Solent Watcher
    replied
    Interesting one!! Was the cooker on the inventory and was it repair or replacment by LL?? Gas safety does not mean necessarily that you are responsibile for it merely that it is safe to use. If it is on the inventory BUT was given to them in good order then unless they can demonstrate that it has become "worn out" rather than abused I suggest not your problem. . If finally you do have to replace then certainly in my area you can pick up refurbs for £60 - £80 with six month warranty although a gas test needed but that would be needed in all circumstances for "replacement". Legal experts will give better guidance but my instinct (as a Landlord!!) "you broke it you fix it"

Leave a comment:

• jjlandlord
    replied
    Originally posted by thomo View Post
    However I have not been to inspect the cooker yet as I wanted to check where I stand first.
    Time to inspect that oven, I'd say...
    In the best case T does not use it correctly (who knows!), in the worst case one heating part broke down. Again, in the latter case my understanding is that you have no obligation to repair.

Leave a comment:

• thomo
    replied
    Immaculate and working

Leave a comment:

• jjlandlord
    replied
    To my (admittedly limited) knowledge, as nothing is specified in the TA, LL has no obligation to repair provided white goods, but he should be responsible for their replacement... Surely, provided said replacement is not caused by T's actions.
    Was the condition of the cooker at the time T moved in?

Leave a comment:

• thomo
    replied
    Landlords Viewpoint - Furnished House – Asked to Replace Cooker

Hi all,

I am a landlord and would appreciate some advice on the property I am renting out. I advertised my property as furnished, after my tenant moved in they asked if I would remove some items which I did.

My tenant has said the cooker isn’t working properly (burning things on bottom of oven and not cooking things on top!) and asked would this be something I will replace. I am not keen to replace the cooker as it is not even 3 years old. Am I legally liable to replace the cooker as there is no mention of it in the tenancy agreement?

The cooker has been Gas Safe Tested. However I have not been to inspect the cooker yet as I wanted to check where I stand first.

(I have seen on another answer to a question on the forum that the landlord has no statutory obligation to repair kitchen appliances, so it comes down to what is agreed in the contract – and as there is no mention in the contract).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    My conscience just reminded me that when I started letting property I knew even less that yourself (i.e. I failed even to ask for advice..).
    Yup, me too. And I don't think it was a coincidence that my first tenant was the worst tenant I ever had, and I ended up taking him to court.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    My conscience just reminded me that when I started letting property I knew even less that yourself (i.e. I failed even to ask for advice..). Best of luck, sure it will work out fine,,, just be careful, read a lot & take advice..

(PS I lost money in a couple of early years...)

Leave a comment:

• Drpepper
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    Oh dear: Dr Pepper,

You need some education dear sir.. Try this

or similar from NLA..

Education expensive?? Try ignorance (No offence, which is where you are right now...).
    Oh I totally agree, I know nothing about letting hence why I'm here. Basically I have purchased a property in an area near family with spare cash I happen to have at the moment - so it owes me nothing as such, but despite all the doom and gloom at the moment I would rather have my money in property than a bank etc. I just want to maybe let it, as we won't use it much, and provide a bit of a return on investment - it's not essential though.

Thanks for the link I'm on it.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by Drpepper View Post
    Thanks Brb & westminster, are LA's really that devious - thanks for the heads up as I would have trusted them 100%. Is there anybody that can recommend a good one in the Bacup area?

What's a S21?
    You will be less likely to get tripped up by an agent if you know more about the landlord's legal obligations, and a bit about L&T law.

This forum's a very good way to learn, and here's a few links to help you on your way.
    http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...ligations.html
    http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...d-tenancy.html
    http://mobile.shelter.org.uk/get_adv...ing_a_landlord
    http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...hold_tenancies

It may seem daunting, but it's a really bad idea to rent a property without knowing the legal basics.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied

What's a S21?
    Oh dear: Dr Pepper,

You need some education dear sir.. Try this

http://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/courses/course1.shtml

or similar from NLA..

Education expensive?? Try ignorance (No offence, which is where you are right now...).

Leave a comment:

• Drpepper
    replied
    Thanks Brb & westminster, are LA's really that devious - thanks for the heads up as I would have trusted them 100%. Is there anybody that can recommend a good one in the Bacup area?

What's a S21?

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Thanks some good advice coming, I fully intend to use a letting agent as the property is some 180 miles away and I have zero experience of lettings!. I'm thinking furnished as we will use it occasionally until about Feb' then probably let it for 6 months or so.
    Use an agent who is well-established, and a member of a professional body such as ARLA.

Ask the agent whether furnished/unfurnished is better for your target market. If furnished is better, you could also ask them to show you comparable properties to see the type of furnishings other landlords put in (and make yours nicer! - remember, you're competing with others to get the best tenants).

Leave a comment:

• Brb
    replied
    A way of limiting the possibility of ending with a "bad tenant" is to be up front and tell them it really is only for six months. Ensure your LA doesn't tell Ts that it's a six month contract, to see how things get on and LL is looking to renew (normal guff from LAs).

I wish I can put LAs on a lie-detector whilst viewing.

Regarding unfurnished/furnished given your plans I would say furnished. Nobody wants to pack up their stuff every six months, from the sounds of things you need a T looking for 6 month getaway to ensure they will move out at the end of it. A T told by LA that you have long term investment plans will rightly feel cheesed off when given their S21.

Leave a comment:

• Drpepper
    replied
    Thanks some good advice coming, I fully intend to use a letting agent as the property is some 180 miles away and I have zero experience of lettings!. I'm thinking furnished as we will use it occasionally until about Feb' then probably let it for 6 months or so.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X