Furnished or unfurnished? What does 'furnished' include?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furnished or unfurnished? What does 'furnished' include?

Hi Everyone

I'm completely new to this. Can you help please? Although I've advertised my house to let unfurnished, I've had some interest in it as furnished. I'm quite clear on what constitutes "unfurnished" (carpets, curtains and cooker). However, I'm not so clear on what constitutes "furnished".

Am I right in thinking that it includes carpets, curtains, white goods (cooker/fridge/washer/microwave), kitchen utensils (crockery/cutlery/kettle/toaster), furniture (table/chairs/sofa/beds/wardrobes). Am I also required to provide a television, video, dvd player, stereo, bedding, towels, garden tools?

Apologies if this is a daft question!

Thanks for your help.

PiP x

Comment

You might find the Inland Revenue definition helpful

Furnished property
      To be classed as furnished the property must comply with the Stamp Office definition of "furnished" which is in accordance with that used by other departments of the Inland Revenue, meaning that the tenant can move into the property without having to take with him any furniture at all. The propertyshould therefore contain as a minimum such items as a sofa, one or more beds,plus a dining table and chairs, a cooker, carpets, curtains and other whitegoods in the kitchen. If the property only contains curtains, carpets and whitegoods in the kitchen this would not be classed as a furnished property.
      I do not provide a television, video, dvd player, stereo, bedding, towels or garden tools.
      Vic - wicked landlord
      Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
      Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by prettyinpink7890
        I'm quite clear on what constitutes "unfurnished" (carpets, curtains and cooker).
        Actually, no you're not clear! In rental parlance, "unfurnished" means the walls have been plastered and that's about it. No carpets, curtains or white goods. There's little or no demand for unfurnished property in the short-term AST market. What you have currently is normally described as "part-furnished", although I don't think the IR makes any distinction.

Comment

Thanks Jonboy! I did a crash course in the pros and cons of being a landlord yesterday by looking over the site in preparation of my prospective tenant coming to view. I definitely want to minimise the chance of any horror stories for me.

Anyway, the prospective tenant said yes, he wants the house, so I sent him away with a TenantVerify application form to complete and return. I plan to do the Comprehensive Check with References.

At this stage is there anything else you recommend I do? He's (allegedly) a professional working locally for a multi-national on a 18 month contract. First impressions (both on the phone and face to face) were good and he seems to be saying the right things. He didn't baulk when I said I would do a credit check and he offered to pay one month's rent and bond up front in cash if I preferred. Apparently he's rented for years (to tie in with where his contracts are in the world) so is definitely more au fait with how it all works than me. (I'm renting out my own house to move into larger rented accommodation with my partner and children.)

I feel much better knowing that if I have any questions I can post them to this forum and one of you very helpful people will be on hand for support and advice.

Thanks everyone.

PiP x

Comment

furnished or unfurnished

Hello all,

Just about to embark on my first investment property. What are the pros, cons of furnished or unfurnished?
            I am thinking of providing cooker and white goods, does this mean the property can be advertised as part furnished?
            Any comments gratefully accepted.

Comment

It depends on your market. some potential types of tenants - for example students - expect the premises they rent to be furnished, but in my experience with most of the tenants I have had over the years furniture is more trouble than it is worth. First of course much of the furniture must meet the fire regulations if supplied by the landlord. White goods must be maintained by the landlord and quite often I have had tenants contact me to say that they were acquiring some furniture themselves, so could you please remove this, that or the whole lot! Furthermore there appears in the main to be little difference in market rents between furnished and unfurnished properties. I now merely supply curtains, carpets, cooker and everything else is down to the tenant. Much less hassle that way.

P.P.
              Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Totally agree with everything PP says.

By the way - yes, cooker+white goods would be part-furnished.

Personally I let part-furnished (with cooker/oven/hob and fridge/freezer) but don't include a washing machine or dishwasher as they are pretty likely to go wrong, especially when subjected to "tenant abuse" - I let tenants provide their own.

Comment

furnished vs unfurnished income

Guys

Does anyone out there know how much more rental I could ask for a property when I furnish it.

What I'm talking about here is the % difference between unfurnished and furnished in terms of rental.

Any advice?

Cheers

Comment

As far as I know(although I must admit I have never really had any dealings with furnished property other than as a tenant) there is not really a difference in rental income per se. It is more about the type of tenant you are going to attract. Unfurnished generally attracts more long term, professional lets.
                    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

if your going to furnish, be prepared at end of tenancy 3 months or 3 years to have to do it all again.
                      Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

Comment

Letting unfurnished: what is included?

After my last tenant left and took my carpets/carpets they had replaced basically leaving no flooring in any rooms ive re-decorated and put in a new kitchen and bathroom.

I want to let as unfurnished but should that include carpets or not?

Looking for advise this please.

Thanx
                        Paul

Comment

Carpets are not a requirement for letting, unless, of course, the property is leasehold and the lease states that they are a requirement.
                          ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

My property always has carpets and curtains and is let unfurnished. Basic carpet is really cheap these days. It may not be a legal obligation but the property is more attractive to tenants. The only tenants who will wish to pay for carpets are those who intend to stay for years - if you can get them great, but many are 6 to 12 monthers only.
                            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                              The only tenants who will wish to pay for carpets are those who intend to stay for years - if you can get them great, but many are 6 to 12 monthers only.
                              Agreed; and if you were a tenant would you want to pay for fitted carpets (which can be assumed to be effectively useless for any other property) when no LL is going to commit to a tenancy of morer than 6 months (or 12 months if they're lucky)? Or would you look for a different property with floor coverings?

This one's a no-brainer...

Comment

Furnished or not! does it change anything?

This is my first let!

I have advertised my property furnished, but prospective tenants have been asking for unfurnished. Does it effect legalities if the property is unfurnished.
                                Does it change anything apart from no furnishings.

Regards Richard

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X