Furnished or unfurnished? What does 'furnished' include?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't wait for the dreary bozo LL or the bozo agent.

Take action yourself without further delay to allay the idea that you are not mitigating your losses.

Get some form of bed/futon asap and deduct the cost of this from the next rent, or get one free as has been suggested.
    Deduct also an amount for the time you have not had use of the property (and had to live elsewhere) and the wasted time you have have spent waiting around for the LL to deliver the furniture that should have been there in the first place,

I would say this additional compensation is worth 40-50% of the monthly rent - a home with no bed can't be lived in all reasonableness.

Tell the agent and the LL that you are doing this and why.

If you have time, go to a Citizens Advice Bureau or the local tenant support officer (correct name?) at your council for advice on what you could reasonably deduct.
    Maybe do some searches to see what information is available on the subject.

You have a document that was part of a deal - the deal was broken by the other side.
    In my opinion, you have just cause to be compensated.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
      My dining table doubles as my desk, so I spend several hours a day sitting on a dining chair.
      There's 2 things here.

1. I think there is a difference between what the above and what the OP was doing.
      Sitting around for hours doing nothing is not easy or comfortable and quickly becomes tiring.
      When you are doing things at desk/table, your mind is focused elsewhere and the lack of comfort of the chair is not noticed very much or as much.

2. Just because you and others are fine with sitting on a dining chair for hours, doesn't mean someone else will be too.
      We do not know the reason why they find it uncomfortable enough to prefer to sit on the floor instead.

I would have thought that it would have been better for the OP to have made arrangements for the LL to call the OP say 1/2 hour before going over to the property, than to go and sit around for hours without any guarantee that the LL would arrive with the furniture.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenJedi View Post
        Get some form of bed/futon asap and deduct the cost of this from the next rent, or get one free as has been suggested.
        Deduct also an amount for the time you have not had use of the property (and had to live elsewhere) and the wasted time you have have spent waiting around for the LL to deliver the furniture that should have been there in the first place...

Tell the agent and the LL that you are doing this and why.
        No. T cannot arbitrarily deduct 'compensation' from the rent - this must either be negotiated with the LL or ordered by a court. My suggestion regarding the futon is different because that is an emergency measure to mitigate losses which would otherwise be incurred by staying at a hotel.

Comment

thank you all for your feedback, i've just been informed that my furniture will be with me by Friday. Do I now just let it lie, or do I proceed with any action regarding the week that they didnt provide furniture?

Comment

It seems that you have had real costs as well as considerable inconvenience.
            Your LL has not taken your plight seriously. A good LL would have been quick with an apology and would have been at your door with emergency furniture within the day.
            If the furniture does arrive on Friday, then I would suggest that you write off the inconvenience but ask for your real costs (eg. B&B) to be reimbursed.

Comment

Originally posted by sportbilly View Post
              Do I now just let it lie, or do I proceed with any action regarding the week that they didnt provide furniture?
              If you want to take it further, you must first negotiate with the LL. Legal action is always the last resort.

Comment

I wouldnt steam in with taking legal action straightaway. 1) it will strain relationships with LL. 2) It may look bad in court.

If I were the OP, and furniture arrives when it does, discuss with LL your costs incurred and discuss an amicable solution.
                [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Well, I was promised furniture by 5.30pm today, and surprise surprise it's now 6.15 and no furniture! More wasted hours..... Ahhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by sportbilly View Post
                    Well, I was promised furniture by 5.30pm today, and surprise surprise it's now 6.15 and no furniture! More wasted hours..... Ahhhhh
                    I thought you said it was coming on/by Friday?
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Letting agent contacted me to say landlord would deliver between 4.30-5.30 today.

Comment

we are having the same problem but from the tenant side.
                        We have asked the real estate to inspect the oven several times each week and they just say that they need to get in touch with the landlord.

The gas stove tops dont work. The timer has been taken out and just doesnt exist, and the knobs for temperature and fan aren't accurate and only work on one setting.

We have suspected a gas leak and have reported it 7 days ago and followed up many times since but no repsonse from the real estate.

So from a tenants view, I would personally say to inspect the oven first before replacing or jumping to conculsions.

Comment

Was a working gas cooker part of the inventory? Completely unacceptable from my perspective to give tenants a cooker that does not work and may in itself be unsafe. Certainly a "working" gas cooker is part of the gassafe check!! Do you hold a current Gassafe certificate if yes what was the date? If you suspect a gas leak the Agent has a "legal duty" to deal with it he cannot ignore. Suggest put it in writing and take it to him or post with certifcate of posting or better (although a bit more expensive!!) recorded delivery. Give him a maximum of 24 hours to deal then if no action go to the local council and report both the problem and the fact that the agent has refused to do anything about it.

At the end of the day this about your well being.

Comment

Originally posted by realestateagentsarecrap View Post
                            we are having the same problem but from the tenant side.
                            We have asked the real estate to inspect the oven several times each week and they just say that they need to get in touch with the landlord.

The gas stove tops dont work. The timer has been taken out and just doesnt exist, and the knobs for temperature and fan aren't accurate and only work on one setting.

We have suspected a gas leak and have reported it 7 days ago and followed up many times since but no repsonse from the real estate.

So from a tenants view, I would personally say to inspect the oven first before replacing or jumping to conculsions.
                            I suspect you are in the US? You are extremely welcome here, but be aware that this site is for the English/Welsh market, where laws are almost certainly different.

In the UK a gas leak would be attended to within 1 hour by the gas company.

Comment

Originally posted by realestateagentsarecrap View Post
                              .............We have suspected a gas leak and have reported it 7 days ago and followed up many times since but no repsonse from the real estate..........
                              I'm amazed that anyone who suspects a gas leak would try contacting an estate agent and then wait 7 days??? If you honestly suspect a leak there's an emergency number to ring, 0800 111 999

Comment

Accepted Life Expectancy of items in a furnished property (Wear & Tear)

Hello

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the accepted life expectancy of items like carpets, laminate flooring, blinds, sofas etc are? I have a small disagreement with a tenant regarding blinds which are only a couple of years old and I believe a good quality blind should have a life expectancy of at least 8 years plus?

Strange question I know

Thank you

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
                                  by Landyman
                                  Are you saying that the toilet and basin are out in the open, adjacent to the kitchen? Or are they in a separate room?

Does the room have a window? Or a fan ventilator?

It's had to visualise exactly what you mean. Could you sketch a simple floorplan and upload that here p...
                                  16-01-2022, 23:47 PM
                                • Flat rental bathroom query
                                  by NewGuyOne
                                  Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
                                  16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
                                • Reply to Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                                  by axil23
                                  Thank you Lawcruncher.

Just so I am not reading the lease wrong. Executed as a deed means that it has to say that and be witnessed by a 3rd party right?...
                                  16-01-2022, 23:23 PM
                                • Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                                  by axil23
                                  I have rented my house to a {name removed} who use it to house Asylum seekers from a govt contract. In June the flat roof developed a leak and they asked me to fix it which I did the next day. 6 months later I get a bill for £1900 for scaffolding, asbestos survey, party wall agreement & for some...
                                  13-01-2022, 12:05 PM
                                • surrender of lease charges
                                  by jshire
                                  Hi,
                                  I'm trying to assist a family member who is in the process of surrendering a lease on a shared flat (all tenants moving out). The landlord agreed as the reasons were reasonable. He's sent an email stating that there will be costs that the tenants have to meet, charged by the letting agent...
                                  16-01-2022, 20:49 PM
                                • Reply to Gas certificate fail
                                  by MdeB
                                  But if you had a valid certificate when the tenancy started but failed to give it to the tenant, then I believe that providing them with a current certificate before serving S21 will be OK....
                                  16-01-2022, 20:30 PM
                                • Gas certificate fail
                                  by ReginaPhalangi
                                  We've been renting out our property since 2017 and now have given notice to our tenants to leave. However we have just realised that we have failed to get a gas certificate during their tenancy. Is it possible to get the gas certificate now? Would we need to give notice again after we issue the gas...
                                  15-01-2022, 20:05 PM
                                • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                                  by MdeB
                                  There are a number (of the order of 20) of grounds under which possession can be sought. See the Housing Act 1988.

The claim is for the period for which they were paying rent whilst there was no required licence in place, up to a maximum of 12 months. Getting a licence ends...
                                  16-01-2022, 19:32 PM
                                • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                                  by MdeB
                                  That depends on when the tenancy started.

Or, possibly, the one in place when it is given to the tenant. The regulations are ambiguous...
                                  16-01-2022, 19:18 PM
                                • Reply to Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities
                                  by steaming
                                  4. Antisocial behaviour…..a fair and consistent approach to everyone. No. 4 is then not mentioned in the extended information (click link). Surely this needs explaining in detail or, maybe, they haven’t actually thought further that the nine words used. No surprise.
                                  16-01-2022, 19:17 PM
                                Working...
                                X