Drainage issues-kitchen sink and toilet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drainage issues-kitchen sink and toilet

Our tenant has notified us that there apears to be blockage in sink and toilet-and seems to think landlord is responsible for fixing.

Whilst there is nothing specific in the tenancy agreement-i have advised him that this is a routine tenants responsibilty for resolution and payment.
    (tenant has been in property for 14 months )

Does everyone concur ?

At the same time-i intend to add that if the problem does extend to a problem with mains drainage as opposed to something specific within the property-the landlord would then become a party to the resolotion-and probably by default-to payment.

Again-does everyone agree/disagree ?

Interested in considered views /thoughts and advice.

many thanks

I get the problem sorted myself and once the plumber or drainage guy tells me what the cause of the blockage was (or I see it because I am there), I get them to state the cause on the invoice.

If the cause is not clear, I pay the invoice myself.

If it is due to the tenant chucking stuff down that they shouldn't or they've simply been putting thick wads of toilet paper down the loo or things like chucking rice down the sink (yes, such bozos are around), they will be charged for the costs.

At the start of all my tenancies, I lay out in writing to each tenant, what the tenant is responsible for and what the landlord is responsible for and so they know in advance what they will be held liable for if they misbehave.

Over time, I came to understand that some people who are renting form the first time (having come straight from living at home) are unaware of what can be thrown down the sinks & toilets and so I spell out for them, in the same document, what can and what shouldn't be thrown down sinks, baths and toilets and the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelmichael View Post
      Our tenant has notified us that there apears to be blockage in sink and toilet-and seems to think landlord is responsible for fixing.

Whilst there is nothing specific in the tenancy agreement-i have advised him that this is a routine tenants responsibilty for resolution and payment.
      (tenant has been in property for 14 months )

Does everyone concur ?

At the same time-i intend to add that if the problem does extend to a problem with mains drainage as opposed to something specific within the property-the landlord would then become a party to the resolotion-and probably by default-to payment.

Again-does everyone agree/disagree ?

Interested in considered views /thoughts and advice.

many thanks
      There are countless threads about blocked drains.
      Read a few, particularly http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...hlight=denning and comments cited there from a judgment by Lord Denning.
      General rule:
      1. L starts-off as inescapably responsible for drains/sewers [s.11 of LTA 1985].
      2. If it's a flat, L might be only a leaseholder- in which case L might be able to unload responsibility of the superior reversioner.
      3. However, T is liable for blockages caused by T (whether deliberate, negligent, or accidental).
      4. T has to use the premises in a proper and tenantlike manner.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If it is a flat then the remainder of the pipes shared with others a service charge responsibility, although they may well recover from you.

Tell the tenant that most blockages are missue, often unintentional. To avoid a plumbers bill being recharged to them because of kitchen fat etc they should first try bleach, soda crystals or an over the counter drain unblocker, ( BUT DO NOT MIX THEM- ONE OR THE OTHER) left overnight, on the affected plumbing and report back.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelmichael View Post
          BTW, Spirits of Salt is superb at clearing/dissolving blocked sinks/toilets/drains that are blocked by organic matter but it needs careful handling as it is corrosive to the skin and breathing it in will call serious harm.
          It stinks too, but I have not found anything else that is as low cost and effective for a non-plumber/drainage person.

Available in most non-chain hardware stores.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X