Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant issuing notice by text

Hi,

My tenant has just sent me a text from her mobile phone saying that she is looking for somewhere else to live at the end of her Assured Shorthold tenancy. Due to the tenancy stating that she must give one month written notice, i contacted the tenant and asked if she could put this in writing, however she has refused saying that the text is enough and she would class that as her written notice.

My problem is that i don't want to go with her text and get another tenant to move in, only to find out that the tenant has decided to stay on after the tenancy agreement finishes. Also if i do not find another tenant and she does leave at the end of the tenancy, then i will be without a tenant in the property.

Can you please advise me on what to do?

Thanks

You could offer to produce the notice to quit for her, and get her to sign it, if she refuses that then I would be wary of her intentions.
    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Thank you for your reply, as that is a good idea

Comment

Using text is as natural to many as writing a letter, or making a call were in the past.
        But as then, be skeptical and write to her, even deliver a copy by hand.

1: Confirming text as notice the date of vacation.
        2: Send a copy of the inventory and your check out procedures, that you require it clean etc cancel the electric and put in my name contact council tax and change name, and confirm that this is done.
        3: If your tenancy agreement allows, arrange a letting agent/ advertise and start doing veiwings.
        If she is going to be difficult, this will force the issue.

Your concern over "the will she go will it be left empty" are no different to the normal concerns.

Does your phone have software to connect it to your pc? If so print the text out and if you can send a text version of the above.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Unfortunately, you have to accept that, like many other people, tenants these days lack the skills to write letters and in any case the stamp costs a lot of money. If a tenant gives you notice, then he/she will vacate your premises on (or before) the date given - if things work out according to his/her plans. However, if such plans go wrong which is quite possible, then this tenant has an absolute right to remain in your property until his/her new accommodation is available. Unfortunately this is the way the law works. You can only ensure that your tenant eventually leaves by serving a section 21 notice. This requires you to give at least two months notice, and if the tenant still doesn't go it may well take a further month or two to get vacant possesion via bailiffs.
          So I suggest you accept the text message as "written" notice, request permission to facilitate viewings for new potential tenants and point out to a suitable one that this is subject to your existing tenant moving out when promised. DO NOT sign a new AST untill your existing tenant has vacated and returned the keys to you.

P.P.
          Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Thank you for both your replys leaseholdanswers and P.Pilcher, i will put a letter together and hand deliver it to her and also i will start to view the property to other tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by Philo33 View Post
              Hi,

My tenant has just sent me a text from her mobile phone saying that she is looking for somewhere else to live at the end of her Assured Shorthold tenancy.
              As theres no obligation on her to give you any kind of notice to end the tenancy (she could just move out on the last day), you dont have a strong case to insist on written notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Planner View Post
                As theres no obligation on her to give you any kind of notice to end the tenancy (she could just move out on the last day), you dont have a strong case to insist on written notice.
                Also worth remembering that she has no obligation to allow you to show the flat to prospective tenants whilst she still has exclusive occupation rights.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Apportioning
                  by ash72
                  The calculation should be (monthly rent *12/365 * No. of days) to get the right cost per day.
                  23-07-2021, 14:40 PM
                • Rent Apportioning
                  by London87
                  I have a query in respect to apportioning of rent.

If a tenant services notice to terminate the tenancy agreement under a break clause and the notice expires at a random day in the month - i.e. not at the end of the monthly rental period; will in this case the rent due for the last period...
                  23-07-2021, 11:13 AM
                  by London87
                  I understand the logic to pro-rate rent already paid when the notice is given during mid-month but the situation is different. In this case the notice to terminate was given 2+ months before expiry of the tenancy. So before the start of the last rental period (rent monthly payable in advance), it is...
                  23-07-2021, 14:36 PM
                  by ash72
                  You should not agree a random date to end the tenancy, it should finish on the day before the rent is due, as long as the correct notice has been given. It would then be at your discretion to then apportion the rent if you wanted to.
                  23-07-2021, 12:20 PM
                  by MdeB
                  As I understand it, the general principle is that rent is paid in advance for the month. If tenant chooses not to use the whole month, then they are not entitled to a refund.
                  23-07-2021, 11:28 AM
                • Reply to Buying a UK Property as a holiday house, Short term rental options
                  by Lawcruncher
                  A significant flaw in your plan is that you want to use the property in June, July and August and the only possible lettings are holiday lettings when the popular months will be June, July and August.

Apart from that, if you want a flat there are all the snags (understatement!) associated...
                  23-07-2021, 09:25 AM
                • Buying a UK Property as a holiday house, Short term rental options
                  by Kangaroos77
                  HI, I am a UK ex-pat living overseas and am considering buying an apartment in the UK when I retire for two purposes. One as a summer house to spend July, Aug, September in, and also to give my partner a UK base to make it easy for her if she decides that on my death she wishes to return to the UK....
                  22-07-2021, 07:01 AM
                • Reply to Rent payment after S21 ends
                  by Bob Biscuits
                  Yes, hopefully it won't go that far as the council aren't aware that our S21 is not valid, and if/when it gets as far as court I will tell the court/letting agent that fact and it will buy us another few months, hopefully in which time we will find somewhere....
                  23-07-2021, 08:17 AM
                • Rent payment after S21 ends
                  by Bob Biscuits
                  Hi all,

We were served a Section 21 which ended yesterday, 20th, and we are in the process of seeking alternate accommodation. Due to the nature of the rental market at present, we are still in the house as we haven't found anywhere else (I did have a thread on the actual notice itself...
                  21-07-2021, 14:48 PM
                • Reply to Imminent eviction
                  by theartfullodger
                  Tenant is able to appeal court order (eg s21 invalidity ) up to time bailiffs walk up garden path. V unlikely, unlikely court would agree challenge, but theoretically possible.

Wait 'n see
                  23-07-2021, 07:00 AM
                Working...
                X