Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Pays Council Tax?

Hopefully this will be a very quick question for someone to answer -

My girlfriend is looking to move into another rented house, but while she works full time, the other tenents are all students. (The landlord doesn't live there). As I understand it, students are exempt from paying council tax, so does that mean my girlfriend will be responsible for paying the entire council tax for the whole house?

If so, this could amount to a fair bit at the house is a 4 bedroom property.

I think that is correct - subject to any discount that she may receive.

Comment

Your girlfriend should receive a 25% discount for being the only non-student in the house. but yes the bill is hers. This is why students often refude to share with non-students, as the non-student can sometimes try to get CT contributions from the exempt students. And vice-versa, would be cheaper for your girlfriend to live with a group of non-students to split the bill.

Comment

Unless, of course, all the tenants have separate/individual ASTs (e.g.for their own rooms and shared use of communal areas) in which case the LL is usually liable for CT, as for various reasons it could be a nightmare getting all the tenants to pay it collectively.

LLs who do this usually factor it into the rent.

Is it a joint contract she will be signing, or an individual one?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X