Noise insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise insulation

Thanks for reading this question and hopefully, giving me some advice.

I've lived in my ground floor flat for two and a half years now, pay rent etc and according to my landlord, am a ''model tenant. My landlord is ok in so far as he maintains the property well.

I do though have a major issue with noise from the flat above. This is not loud music noise, or raised voices or anything anti-social at all. It's simply the noise of footsteps. I can hear every single footstep that my neighbour makes. Today for example, I heard him plugging in his iron and then as he shifted weight between I could hear the floorboards creaking: this was at 6.30am.

I've seen the upstairs flat and it's carpeted everywhere except for the kitchen. The landlord has conceded that he needs to put some insulation in but has never acted. The last time he said this was over a year ago, but still nothing has happened.

The property is a large Victorian semi. I'm not sure when it was converted but I'm fairly sure it was not before 1992.

I am near my wit's end with this issue. I want my landlord to resolve the issue and I'm happy to put up with some minor inconvenience to resolve it. He has asked the neighbour to be quiet last month but my neighbour does everything he can to keep quiet: he takes phone calls away from my bedroom, he wears slippers when walking around etc.

What do you suggest I do? I don't want to fall out with him but I am looking for ways in which I can show him I'm serious about this and to stress that it really is the landlord's responsibility to resolve it.

Many thanks in advance

When an old property is converted into flats there is invariably a noise issue between floors. Unfortunately the current fashion for "minimalist" furnishings and in particular uncarpeted wooden floors has substantially compounded the problem. Modern building regulations require a certain amount of sound insulation between floors but they probably don't apply here. You may care to discuss it with your local authority environmental health department and ask your landlord whether there is any chance of getting carpets fitted in the flat upstairs (if he owns it) but apart from that there is probably little else that you can do. From what yoiu say, it is obvious that the residents upstairs are doing their best to live as quietly as practicable.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Oh no!

I know my neighbour is doing his best and we get on well. I don't want to fall out with anyone. Can my landlord therefore do nothing and be acting within the law?

Thanks

Comment

Unfortunately, that is correct. The landlord would possibly have to repair the sound insulation if it broke down for some reason (vermin?) but he has no obligation to install additional sound insulation.

Even modern flats, that meet current building regs, have noise issues - it is a given thing in flats. Your current property only has to meet the sound insulation requirements of the building regs (if any) that were in place when the building was converted.

It may be that the landlord wants to help, but doesn't know what to do. There are sound insulation boards that can be attached to the ceiling and then plastered over. This would not be over expensive - probably less than £500 for your bedroom - and may make it easier for the landlord to achieve his target rents when he needs to find a new tenant. He has no obligation to do this though.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks very much for your help. I think I'm just going to have to go and find accommodation elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
            ...ask your landlord whether there is any chance of getting carpets fitted in the flat upstairs (if he owns it) but apart from that there is probably little else that you can do.
            The flat upstairs is already carpeted.

Originally posted by alistair View Post
            I've seen the upstairs flat and it's carpeted everywhere except for the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by alistair View Post
              Thanks very much for your help. I think I'm just going to have to go and find accommodation elsewhere.
              It may be worth telling the landlord why you are planning to give notice. If I were him, I'd want do something about a problem which is causing me to lose tenants regardless of the lack of a legal obligation to install insulation.

Point him to this website
              http://www.soundreduction.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                It may be worth telling the landlord why you are planning to give notice. If I were him, I'd want do something about a problem which is causing me to lose tenants regardless of the lack of a legal obligation to install insulation.

Point him to this website
                http://www.soundreduction.co.uk/

Tell him that you are moving unless he does something in the flat and the flat may well be empty for several months. The lost income may be more than the cost of upgrading the sound insulating properties.

Some landlords just done see this though so prepare to move (we have one landlord who refused to fit double glazing. The tenant was paying £475. Due to a drop in demand in this area the rent is now £400 and it took us about 5 months to fill the house (rough area). The lost 5 months rent would easily have paid for partial or full double glazing.
                Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the additional advice. I shall definitely try this and point out that he did say he would do something about it a year ago. However, I'm not sure it will inspire him! I've asked to meet with him three times in the last four weeks and he never turns up. He has not replaced a set of blinds or curtains despite making promises that he would do so 18 months ago. Similarly he has also not repaired an exterior wall which has caused my washing machine to break down due to damp invading from outside. He has also failed to secure the fire escape ladder for the flat upstairs to an exterior wall. Not sure he's going to commit himself to sorting out the noise problem.

I don't want to fall out with him as cooperative relationship is fundamental but is there any way in which I can encourage him to undertake the minor jobs. It seems tome that if you are a tenant who plays by the rules, you are disadvantaged.

Sorry for the rant.

Comment

This may help for the minor reairs http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad..._doing_repairs

Comment

Some LLs are very good and some are very poor.

I would discuss this with the landlord and point out that he will always have trouble keeping tnts due to the noise.

One of my recent tnts handed their notice in stating they couldnt manage the stairs anymore, also the bath/shower was quite poor. He struggled with his Knees and Back so couldnt get up the stairs or in the bath very well adn the shower wasnt vey good as he couldnt lay down in the bath.

Offered to cut a deal on a power shower ( perhaps 50/50 ) and also have no objections to having a stair lift fitted. Would have lowered the rent as well. But he was adamant he would see a stair lift as a negative in his life.

So they are leaving next week and they have spent a fortune improving the house,they have been model tnts from day 1. Off to a bunglaow paying more than were they are now.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Loft conversion building regs
                        by Handy21
                        Hi guys this might have already been covered before but I’m currently purchasing a 3 bed house and near completion our solicitor has managed to find out they don’t have building regs for the 3rd bedroom (loft conversion). My question is can I let this as a 3 bedroom or is it legally only a 2 bedroom,...
                        27-10-2021, 07:16 AM
                      • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                        by DoricPixie
                        In the opening post you said there was 6 month fixed term AST with both your niece and her now-ex-partner named as joint tenants. Now you are saying there was never a tenancy agreement drawn up.

With the benefit of hindsight it would have been better if you'd had your niece pay money into...
                        27-10-2021, 06:33 AM
                      • Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                        by Yorkie2020
                        Good evening all,

I wonder if I could get some advice on ending an AST tenancy in England.

Originally a 6 month AST last Sept between my niece and her partner, I foolishly listed both on the AST as joint tenants and didn't list him as a permitted, there was no deposit paid....
                        20-10-2021, 19:44 PM
                      • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                        by Yorkie2020
                        Guess I've been very lucky this time. My niece has informed her partner that she is ending the tenancy and signing up for a new one in her name only and he is ok with it. She did point out that he will no longer be responsible for any more rent or bills when it's totally in her name.
                        JPkeats,...
                        27-10-2021, 02:02 AM
                      • Reply to Increasing rent
                        by jpkeates
                        There may be something on the NRLA website, but I don't know of a standard template.

To be honest that clause doesn't seem to help you a lot, it stops you using a s13 notice (I'd wrongly assumed that because it said "may" you'd be able to) but doesn't actually help you with an...
                        26-10-2021, 17:37 PM
                      • Increasing rent
                        by Berlingogirl
                        Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
                        My tenancy agreement says
                        “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
                        Is there a specific form I should use?...
                        26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
                        by Berlingogirl
                        Thanks jpkeates, I looked at the form 13 but that’s for if you don’t have anything in your tenancy agreement with regard to a rent increase. Is there a pro forma for a rent increase if there is a condition in your TA?
                        26-10-2021, 17:05 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        If the tenancy is now an SPT, and you want to be ever so formal (and impose the increase without any agreement), search for form 13 (which is called something else on the government's tenancy forms page).

Otherwise, you just need to get the tenant to agree and start paying the new rent...
                        26-10-2021, 13:58 PM
                      • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                        by jpkeates
                        It is quite likely that the 2 additional months might be seen as a deposit, unless the tenancy agreement is very specific about the initial payment being for months 1, 5 and 6.

If it is a deposit, you won't be able to use a s21 notice without returning it and the deposit will be unlawful...
                        26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
                      • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                        by Shorif908
                        Hi All,

I have recently had new tenants move in.
                        the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
                        26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
                      Working...
                      X