Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolaaled
    replied
    thanks for these replies...very helpful to get a bit of advice!

thanks again

Leave a comment:

• mjbfire
    replied
    I go and see the P with the T, about 2 weeks prior to T moving out, and got a document from somewhere, that informs the T, what things should be done. Have a look around and point out things.
    Then when it comes to the check out day, if things not done, then they don't have much of an excuse.
    The main thing is to get their next address and get meter readings signed, and if you say it's your procedure is to send the cheque to that address, or that you must inform DPS, you know where they are, for bills.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by Jolaaled View Post
    How can a LL best undertake the checkout?? I'm worried that, as I check against the inventory, that I may miss damage, that only comes to light later on.
    You need to give the tenant the option of being present at the check-out inventory, though in my own experience they very rarely want to be. That's far better in my opinion: no chance of feeling in any way 'pressured' by the tenant looking over your shoulder, you have ample time to check the place over properly, during which hopefully you wil detect any attempts at concealing damage, eg by strategically positioned furniture/objects.

If they are present at the check-out, I suppose you want to try and avoid signing anything which will cook your goose later if you find anything else - though that's why the tenant is presumably there, so that's difficult. Not sure what else you can do at that point if push comes to shove, and whether your signature on the property condition is 100% binding at that point. Clearly if for any reason you do want to revise your opinion on the condition after the tenant's left, then time should be of the absolute essence. Never been in that position myself - would be interested in hearing others' views.

Certainly whatever you do, don't go returning cheques/cash etc on the spot; that gives you a bit of breathing space.

Leave a comment:

• Jolaaled
    started a topic best practice for check-out

best practice for check-out

Are there any tips on the best approach when undertaking the inventory check-out?..trying to avoid obvious pitfalls here. (I am both a LL and a tenant,........... on 2 different properties, obviously!).

I realise that taking photo evidence is a good idea..but:

is it necessary for both parties to be present?
    How can a LL best undertake the checkout?? I'm worried that, as I check against the inventory, that I may miss damage, that only comes to light later on.

Also:
    How quickly does a deposit need to be returned?..is there a time limit for negotiating a deposit return??

many thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X