3 Years and still no luck....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Years and still no luck....

I've been on the housing list for 3 years and still ain't getting anyway....
    Now me and my girlfriend have a 2nd child coming along we need a place the most ever.... Is there any landlords from the Washington/Sunderland area?????
    Thanx....

How an earth can we answer this question with such sparse information.
    1. Where are you living now and what is the size of the accommodation
    2. How long have you been there
    3. Are you in regular employment that would enable you to pay the market rent in the private sector (if so state what price band you are looking for)
    4. Describe the accommodation you need. How many rooms? Do you have special needs and will you want a flat or a house.
    5. Do you have a good credit record and references from current and previous landlords that would satisfy checks from a tenant verification service
    6. Do you have allowances other than income that would enable to pay the market rent (e.g Housing Benefit or other state benefits or allowances)

There is no fairy wand that will get you a Council house and so it is encouraging to see you taking on the responsibility of dealing with the problems arising from another pregnancy.

Private landlords are not in the market to offer you a lifeboat! They are providing you with a very, very valuable asset and you must be able to persuade them you are a good and responsible prospective tenant.
    Vic - wicked landlord
    Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
    Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Vic go easy on the guy! he has come on here out of desperation!

OP we do need more info from you on what you need, however I for one cannot help as we do not have properties in your area. Have you looked into bond schemes, contact your council and ask for help in this respect.

One thing that has recently bugged me with a council in South Wales.. we had a tenant who moved in 8 months ago, she has been a model tenant. She informed us she was on the council list and had been for many years but needed somewhere to live. A few weeks ago she called to say that after 5 years on the list the council had offered her a house in the same street as our property. She was over the moon until they told her she had to move within one week or lose it! She explained that she needed to give one months notice but they did not want to know! .. I was soo mad at the council, they want private LL to help them house those they cannot house yet the give us very little respect in return. Luckily we have re let the house quickly and all is well but it does annoy me how they expected her to just leave with no notice.. she is a single Mum and could no way afford both rents!
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane
        Vic go easy on the guy! he has come on here out of desperation! <snip>
        Point taken justaboutsane. However wanted to know more to establish this was a genuine and not a potential troll post and of course some of the detail needed if help was to be provided.

If I recall correctly Pippay posted information about the legal powers of the local Housing Benefit Office to pay duplicate rents when there were reasons why the tenant had to move suddenly.
        Vic - wicked landlord
        Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
        Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Vic.. the lady was not on HB she was paying full rent herself! As she was able to recommend an alternative tenant we let her go without worry, as I said she was a model tenant and this was not her problem. As the property was in such a good state we were able to move someone in the day after she left!
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Under S 5 (d) d) of the housing benefit regulations a tenant can apply for both rents to be paid for a period of up to 4 weeks if:

1. They have moved into the new property

2. There is a contractual obligation to pay rents on both properties

3. That ithe tenant could not have reasonably avoided it.

This was explained to me by Shelter .. the Council didn't offer the information!!

Originally posted by justaboutsane
            they expected her to just leave with no notice.. she is a single Mum and could no way afford both rents!
            Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Originally posted by Worldlife
              How an earth can we answer this question with such sparse information.
              1. Where are you living now and what is the size of the accommodation
              2. How long have you been there
              3. Are you in regular employment that would enable you to pay the market rent in the private sector (if so state what price band you are looking for)
              4. Describe the accommodation you need. How many rooms? Do you have special needs and will you want a flat or a house.
              5. Do you have a good credit record and references from current and previous landlords that would satisfy checks from a tenant verification service
              6. Do you have allowances other than income that would enable to pay the market rent (e.g Housing Benefit or other state benefits or allowances)

There is no fairy wand that will get you a Council house and so it is encouraging to see you taking on the responsibility of dealing with the problems arising from another pregnancy.

Private landlords are not in the market to offer you a lifeboat! They are providing you with a very, very valuable asset and you must be able to persuade them you are a good and responsible prospective tenant.
              1. At the moment I am down as homeless living between places when I can etc.... Also my girlfriend lives at hers with her parents, 3 bedroom house, her parents in one, her brother in one and her and her sister share a bedroom, her sister already has a kid and has one on the way but is to imature to even think about moving....
              2. Kinda was at the property I am now sleeping at when possible since I was a kid, BTW I'm 23 and my gf is 21....
              3. I am on income support, been on benefits since I was 18 unfortunately....
              4. I will take anything with atleast two rooms....
              5. Haven't really had any previous landlords....
              6. Yes I would be able to get housing benefit....
              Thanx................

Comment

Get yourself and your girlfreind down to Shelter for advice as to whether your situation is a prority need.

You don't say where your GF and her sisters children sleep, so it could be a case of overcrowding at her parents.

If you don't update the council, that you and your GF and child/chidren are a family unit, or of any other changes, they won't know and therefore you'll stay on the list, in the category you are, forever.

unfortunately the reality is that no matter how good your intentions, private LL are very cautious about letting to Housing Benefit tenants. or non-working tenants.
                Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Originally posted by MC_Ake
                  1. At the moment I am down as homeless living between places when I can etc.... Also my girlfriend lives at hers with her parents, 3 bedroom house, her parents in one, her brother in one and her and her sister share a bedroom, her sister already has a kid and has one on the way but is to imature to even think about moving....
                  2. Kinda was at the property I am now sleeping at when possible since I was a kid, BTW I'm 23 and my gf is 21....
                  3. I am on income support, been on benefits since I was 18 unfortunately....
                  4. I will take anything with atleast two rooms....
                  5. Haven't really had any previous landlords....
                  6. Yes I would be able to get housing benefit....
                  Thanx................
                  If my calculations are correct then you are statutory overcrowded by half a person.My advice would be to get on to the Housing Manager at your Local Council and force their hand.The council's are all too often saying that there are not many properties available but when push comes to shove they find people accomadation like the person I visited this morning who has only been in the country 2 months and as just been given a newly refurbished property in East London.Needless to say I left the property with the right ump!!
                  Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Agree with Pippay that advice from Shelter is needed particularly regard to the apparant overcrowding at the girlfriend's house.

Would the OP and his girlfriend satisfy a check from TenantVERIFY or similar landlord vetting agency?

I would be very wary of accepting tenants on benefit of less than 25 years of age. The reason being that if things should go amiss and there is a separation then a single male would get a one room lodging allowance instead of a contribution towards a house or flat.

How would the accommodation payments for a single mum under 25 with two babies be worked out. How many rooms would she be entitled to claim housing benefit for?

I may be old fashioned but I would feel that there might be more security from from the landlords point of view if we were dealing with a married couple seeking a joint tenancy. Would a landlord seeking such security in preference to an unmarried couple be guilty of actionable prejudice?

I have experienced the havoc and damage caused by an aggrieved ex-girl friend - but I guess the same damage might have been caused by a separation involving an aggrieved wife.

My view is this is one for social housing rather than the private landlord
                    Vic - wicked landlord

Comment

Originally posted by Worldlife
                      I may be old fashioned but I would feel that there might be more security from from the landlords point of view if we were dealing with a married couple seeking a joint tenancy. Would a landlord seeking such security in preference to an unmarried couple be guilty of actionable prejudice?
                      I wouldn't say your being prejudicest here Vic more like being realistic.I can see where your coming from and yes this is more of a case for social housing to deal with rather than a private landlord having to take on the burden.
                      Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

I agree with Worldlife and pms, this does sound like a social housing problem rather than a private rented issue.

Shelter will be able to advise you thoroughly and negotiate on your behalf with the Council, including putting pressure to bear on them, regarding the Coincil's legal responsibility to re-house you and your family (providing you fit the criteria and it sounds as though as a family you do ).

Just remember, it won't happen overnight. But Shelter will keep pushing them for you and act as your advocate.

Originally posted by pms
                        If my calculations are correct then you are statutory overcrowded by half a person.My advice would be to get on to the Housing Manager at your Local Council and force their hand.The council's are all too often saying that there are not many properties available but when push comes to shove they find people accomadation like the person I visited this morning who has only been in the country 2 months and as just been given a newly refurbished property in East London.Needless to say I left the property with the right ump!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X