Fixed Period in AST and Section 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Period in AST and Section 21

I have issued an AST to a tenant for 1 year but with break option exerciseable by 2 months notice by either party after 6 months leading to 8 month minimum.

In this case is the first 8 months regarded as Fixed Period with the last 4 months regarded, legally, as agreed Statutory Periodic?

If I issue a Section 21 notice within the last 4 months is this still regarded as within the Fixed period so (b) or is it Stat Periodic so (a)??

What is the Break Clause's EXACT wording, please?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffb View Post

In this case is the first 8 months regarded as Fixed Period with the last 4 months regarded, legally, as agreed Statutory Periodic?
      The fixed term continues to 1 year unless it is terminated by either party operating the break clause in the manner laid down by the contract (often, break clauses are a dog's dinner, and cannot be exercised). If the break clause is exercised, that ends the fixed term, but as LL you still have to comply with s.21, which means giving the T at least two months' notice.

If you issue a s.21 simultaneously with giving notice under the break clause (the s.21 may/may not fulfill both functions, depending on the wording of the break clause), then it is served during the fixed term, so it's a s.21(1)(b).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X