Tenant claimed housing benefit and not paid rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant claimed housing benefit and not paid rent

I had a tenant that has done a runner owing 2 months rent. She would have claimed housing benefit but I have spoken to the benefits agency who say there is nothing they can do?

I dont understand how a tenant can claim from the state and simply be allowed to keep the money that doesnt belong to them.

She is now claiming on another property. What are the legal proceedings I need to take and is it expensive or worth while? Any help gratefully received!

There are umpteen threads here like yours. Ignore that T has claimed benefits; focus on T not having paid rent.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Reclaim rent from deposit or guarantor. You can try to reclaim via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk but if she has no funds/assets then your chances of enforcing any order are slim (blood, stone etc).

Comment

I've taken 8 ex benefits tenants to Court this year.

I have been awarded the money, as none of the tenants turned up at Court. The biggest issue is trying to track them down and then get the money from them.

It has taken up so much time, with only 1 tenant having made any payments - £15 a month for a £1,800 debt.

The workload to money return is not worth the hassle, but the personal reward that they have not stolen your money (if you get it back), makes it worthwhile.

The legal system will amaze you, as there seems to be no concern by Judges that tenants fail to attend Court orders.

All the best -

PS If you have insufficent income, you can get court fee excemption, or do it online for a reduced rate

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyroom View Post
          PS If you have insufficent income, you can get court fee excemption, or do it online for a reduced rate
          But realistically, a landlord, entitled to rental income (even if it is notional), is unlikely to qualify for EX160 exemption.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X