Advanced rent has now become a deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced rent has now become a deposit

We have received a letter from LA that the LL will not let us use our 2 mths advanced rent for the final 2 months. We have handed our notice in and expected to use the advanced rent to cover the final two months to enable us to increase our cash flow to secure our next property.

This advanced rent was a security for the LL against non payment of rent. We pay our rent normally a month in advance and this was an extra security held by the agent.

We verbally handed our notice in and said it was our intention to use the advanced rent against the final two months, therefore leaving nothing owing when we leave. In response they have come back and said the LL has insisted the advance rent changes status and has now become a deposit. They have lodged it with the TDS this week together with our original £1100 holding deposit for damages etc.

Can they do this? They have treated it as advance rent since Sept 09 and now that we've handed our notice in (by letter this week) they've changed the status and moved our money to the TDS??

Your help would be much appreciated

R & L

Just seen you have also paid a deposit.

What do you have by means of statement about the deposit that needs to be paid?

Obviously, do not pay any further rent.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Sounds like initially he tried to get round the deposit protection claiming it's advanced rent, and then have taken some advise saying it could be classes as a deposit, and therefore needed protected.

That why I try not to take more than a month advance rent, but still I am not 100% sure what the differance is legally, as it still a liability against non payment.

Well you could not pay the rent for the next 2 months, except for a little hassle from the LL he can't do much. But I would only do this if you sure about the orginal agreement, and you got your referances for your next place sorted out.
      Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right

Comment

Sounds like your LL used the description of what is in effect a deposit as being 'advanced rent' as a way round having to register what is in effect a deposit !
        Since he's called it advanced rent then I don't see how he can expect you to pay another two months rent when your leaving in two months.

Comment

Originally posted by BassetHoundMadness View Post
          This advanced rent was a security for the LL against non payment of rent. We pay our rent normally a month in advance and this was an extra security held by the agent
          ....the LL has insisted the advance rent changes status and has now become a deposit. They have lodged it with the TDS this week together with our original £1100 holding deposit for damages etc.
          So, when you moved in you paid: 1) a month's rent in advance, 2) an additional two months' rent in advance as 'security', 3) a deposit?

What does it say in the tenancy agreement about 2) and 3)?

Unless the tenancy agreement is very specific about the additional two months' rent being advance payment of the last two months' rent, then it *is* a deposit (i.e. money held as security against T's obligations in the contract) and it is correct to protect it. And you should pay rent as normal.

However...

They have lodged it with the TDS this week together with our original £1100 holding deposit for damages etc.

Can they do this? They have treated it as advance rent since Sept 09 and now that we've handed our notice in (by letter this week) they've changed the status and moved our money to the TDS??
          By TDS do you mean http://www.thedisputeservice.co.uk/ ? Because the TDS do not allow late protection (i.e. more than 14 days after receipt of deposit), and require clauses to be inserted into the tenancy agreement in order for the protection to be valid.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
            Because the TDS do not allow late protection (i.e. more than 14 days after receipt of deposit), and require clauses to be inserted into the tenancy agreement in order for the protection to be valid.
            Therefore you could contemplate a claim, or at least threaten one, for non-compliance with s213(5)(b) of the 2004 Housing Act.

Comment

Yes it is with the TDS? Do you think we have a case?

After 6 months of living at the property, having paid 6 months in advance + £1100 deposit initially. We changed to a periodic tenancy and signed an appendum quoting

We agree to pay in addition to the monthly rent, a further £1800 at the time of signing this appendum. This additional deposit represents 2 months advance rent and is to be held by the agent in favour of the landlord as a security against any rent arrears and in addition to the existing deposit held.

Comment

We agree to pay in addition to the monthly rent, a further £1800 at the time of signing this appendum. This additional deposit represents 2 months advance rent and is to be held by the agent in favour of the landlord as a security against any rent arrears and in addition to the existing deposit held.
                You should have simply paid the rent in advance which the letting agent would have then forwarded to the landlord.

It isn't necessarily the landlord trying to pull a fast one, but the wording of the payment can be interpreted as it being a deposit.
                Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                  You should have simply paid the rent in advance which the letting agent would have then forwarded to the landlord.

It isn't necessarily the landlord trying to pull a fast one, but the wording of the payment can be interpreted as it being a deposit.
                  We have sent a letter

Thank you for your letter of 15th August 2010 and for confirmation that the money in question was given as advance rent. We do not consent to it being held as a deposit, and would remind you that while no rent is owing the money is indisputably ours.

As notice has now been given, we would instruct that this money is to be used as rent for the remaining term of the tenancy that being £605.00 paying up until 27th September 2010 our vacating date. The surplus £1195 must be returned in full without any deductions at the conclusion of the tenancy, otherwise we shall initiate proceedings to recover it without further notice. Please advise Mr & Mrs ***** accordingly.

Comment

After 6 months of living at the property, having paid 6 months in advance + £1100 deposit initially. We changed to a periodic tenancy and signed an appendum...
                    I don't know why you agreed to this, and paying yet more money in advance/deposit - a periodic tenancy arises automatically when the fixed term expires; there is no need for a written contract (the terms of the original remain in place except for those relating to notice), nor do you have any obligation to sign one, or pay further monies.

We have sent a letter

Thank you for your letter of 15th August 2010 and for confirmation that the money in question was given as advance rent. We do not consent to it being held as a deposit...
                    But you signed the addendum stating:

So IMO you've paid £1,100 (originally) + £1,800 (subsequently) as deposit. Of course, in the end, if you don't pay any further rent due, then the money will be set against the arrears at the end of the tenancy next month.

The matter of whether the whole amount of the deposit has been properly protected is separate; I do not know whether your original tenancy agreement includes the TDS' required clauses, or whether this is sufficient to cover the subsequent extra deposit payment - you'd have to call the TDS and ask.

But, obviously, you can't argue the £1,800 isn't a deposit and at the same time complain that it isn't protected.

Comment

Reply from Letting Agent

Thank you for your letter of notice and the additional letter of the 17th August instructing that these
                      monies must be used towards the rent due in the coming months.
                      As advised the landlord has not agreed to this, therefore as explained the status defaults to deposit
                      and as stakeholder, as declared in your tenancy agreement, we require a joint decision to act as
                      requested.
                      I advise that you should take legal advise from a solicitor or CAB should you wish to insist on your
                      request.

I guess we have to decide whether to accept that it's a deposit and pursue them on the non protected status. Any advice either way would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                        I don't know why you agreed to this, and paying yet more money in advance/deposit - a periodic tenancy arises automatically when the fixed term expires; there is no need for a written contract (the terms of the original remain in place except for those relating to notice), nor do you have any obligation to sign one, or pay further monies.

If we'd known then what we've learnt now we would have stood up for ourselves. The LA had issued a notice for possession so if we didn't sign and pay we had 4 weeks to get out and nowhere to liveBut you signed the addendum stating:

So IMO you've paid £1,100 (originally) + £1,800 (subsequently) as deposit. Of course, in the end, if you don't pay any further rent due, then the money will be set against the arrears at the end of the tenancy next month.

The matter of whether the whole amount of the deposit has been properly protected is separate; I do not know whether your original tenancy agreement includes the TDS' required clauses, or whether this is sufficient to cover the subsequent extra deposit payment - you'd have to call the TDS and ask.

I called them they don't think it's been handled properly but without all the facts wouldn't make a decision they have also said they can only get involved once we moved out.

But, obviously, you can't argue the £1,800 isn't a deposit and at the same time complain that it isn't protected.
                        I agree not sure which avenue we should go down! Perhaps I should see a solicitor and see if the case is strong enough.

Thank you for your time & comments

R & L

Comment

I agree not sure which avenue we should go down! Perhaps I should see a solicitor and see if the case is strong enough.

Thank you for your time & comments

R & L
                          I would write and tell them that the money was paid as rent.
                          K.I.S.S.

A Solicitor is going to cost money. You have paid your rent, let the agent/landlord decide what they are going to do.

Comment

If we'd known then what we've learnt now we would have stood up for ourselves. The LA had issued a notice for possession so if we didn't sign and pay we had 4 weeks to get out and nowhere to live
                            You mean the LA served a s.21 notice saying LL required possession after 2 months? If so, this is not a 'notice for possession', it merely entitles the LL to apply to the court for a possession order after the s.21 notice expires - many LLs will serve the notice as a matter of standard procedure towards the end of the fixed term, with no specific intention of going on to apply for possession.

In short, you wouldn't have had only four weeks to get out - you'd have had firstly two months' notice, then around a couple of months after that for processing of the court application for possession - then, if you still didn't leave, it'd take another month for a bailiff to actually enforce the possession order.

Comment

I think you need to face the fact that you did sign an agreement clearly stating that the additional £1,800 was a deposit to be held as security against arrears.

It seems to me rather opportunistic to insist otherwise, then effectively say you might change your mind if you find you have a 'strong enough' case to claim for non-compliance with deposit protection.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
                                by Moderator2
                                Hooper,

Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
                                1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
                                18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
                              • Tenant references are a joke.
                                by Hooper
                                I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

I got two replies two days apart.

The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
                                17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
                              • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
                                by jpkeates
                                The underlay is the key.
                                At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
                                18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
                              • Typical lifetime of carpets
                                by davett
                                I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
                                17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
                                by jpucng62
                                Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
                                18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
                              • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                                by jpkeates
                                There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
                                The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
                                If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
                                18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
                              • MCOL & PCOL
                                by OS7
                                Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                                04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                                by AndrewDod
                                Most of my carpets in my own home (good quality) are 15+ years old and still, with care, look perfect.

Asking carpet people how often you need to replace your carpet is like asking a damp proofing installer whether you need damp proofing....
                                18-09-2021, 13:16 PM
                                by Hooper
                                Yes - both references received 2 days apart from the dedicated referencing department of a national group of letting agents....
                                18-09-2021, 12:14 PM
                                by Hooper
                                With respect, the editing has changed the nature of my posts and title and it is not entirely clear to a reader what has and has not been edited. I am not happy with the posts or title as edited being attributed to me. I think the response a couple of posts up demonstrates that the edits have made it...
                                18-09-2021, 12:10 PM
                              Working...
                              X