Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obtaining references for overseas students

Hello,

My letting agent is arranging a tenancy with three overseas students. They are paying a deposit and 3 months rent up front. However, I'm concerned about obtaining satisfactory references on them - all the agent has produced so far is a copy of a passport for one of the students. There is also no UK guarantor.

I would really appreciate some advice on what type of visa/references I should accept before allowing them to become my tenants. Clearly if they were UK residents I could obtain employer and landlord references and credit searches. How do I get the equivalent for overseas tenants?

Many thanks for any help.

If your agent doesn't know how to do this then I suggest changing your agent before you go any further!

Homelet offer an overseas referencing service but it really depends on what type of students they are; are they on a recognised course through a reputable educational/training establishment? will the establishment stand guarantor - I suspect not but its worth asking the question.
    My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

They should either be paying the whole term upfront, have a UK guarantor or possibly have a government sponsor from overseas, these are the only acceptable options. In your situation they either pay up front or don't move in at all.
      <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

I would suggest a deposit of at least 4 months but only the normal 1 months rent in advance. My thinking being that you could get them out under s8 before the deposit is used up on unpaid rent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
          by Luke
          Thanks , what is regarded as living in a property ?
          Do I need to spend a set number of days being there ?...
          28-01-2022, 08:34 AM
        • Renting rooms
          by Luke
          I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
          I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
          I do not intend to live at the property
          Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
          As its...
          28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
        • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
          by SouthernDave
          Defo get ready for a battle with this....
          28-01-2022, 08:26 AM
        • Tenant has moved partner in.
          by Alison Laws
          My tenant who is 4 months into her tenancy agreement has moved her partner in without permission and Im wondering can use this to issue a new tenancy agreement with his name on it. She isn't the easiest tenant and I would also like to add an agreement break to the new tenancy because of the difficulty...
          27-01-2022, 15:30 PM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by ExpertInAField
          I assume from your question that you would like to have them on a lodgers agreement so you could evict them with a moments notice.

To answer this quickly, from the details you gave above, you would create an AST even if you used the lodger paperwork. By you not living there, you remove...
          28-01-2022, 08:16 AM
        • Reply to Is time more important than money?
          by Lawcruncher
          I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
          27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
        • Is time more important than money?
          by jpucng62
          Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
          Garden was left in a mess...
          27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
        • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
          by MdeB
          That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
          Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
          27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
        • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
          by Beeble
          We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
          25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
        • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
          by Lawcruncher
          The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
          27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
        Working...
        X