Should I pay more if my Girlfriend moves in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JonVortex
    replied
    Cool - so as I am planning of moving out in 8 months anyway - no real dramas!

Depending on the wording of the contract of course!!

Thanks!
    Jon.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    Also note S.15(2) of the Housing Act 1988 allows landlords in assured periodic tenancies to refuse consent to an assignment or subletting, even where refusal is unreasonable.
    1. It's not a periodic tenancy.
    2. OP is not assigning or subletting the property by having gf move in.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by JonVortex View Post
    My concern is about whether or not she is able to ask for more rent for an extra person moving in. (assuming the contract doesn't explicitly reference this).
    You have an assured shorthold tenancy and the deposit should have been protected - it's possible, however, that this information is contained in the tenancy agreement which you've lost. When you get a copy, see whether it mentions The Dispute Service Ltd/TDS.

Even if the contract specifies that you cannot have lodgers/other occupants/ sublet/whatever, if you breached this provision (i.e. gf moved in without LL's consent/paying more rent), the LL would have the following options:
    1. She could serve a s.21 notice and apply for possession after the expiry of the fixed term in 8 months (but if the deposit isn't protected she cannot serve a s.21 notice).
    2. She could attempt to apply for possession via a s.8 notice on the grounds of the breach of contract - unlikely to succeed as it is not a serious breach.
    3. She could attempt to claim for additional wear and tear caused by the additional occupant - again, unlikely to succeed, as it would be very difficult to prove/quantify the additional wear and tear. And even if she could prove a loss, the sum involved would be small, a lot less than paying the extra 20% rent (£400 x 8 months = £3,200).

If she attempted 2) or 3), you could then counter-claim for loss of amenity/breach of quiet enjoyment for the building works (assuming you have evidence of this).

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Beware, if it was a conversion she can get you quicker than you might expect..

You might wish to read 18(d) onwards.. P55, OFT356 (google it!) - the OFT's comments on restrictions on subletting (which you could arguably be doing).

Also note S.15(2) of the Housing Act 1988 allows landlords in assured periodic tenancies to refuse consent to an assignment or subletting, even where refusal is unreasonable.

However if it is a conversion it may not be an AST, even if the paperwork says it is(!).

Cheers!

Lodger

PS Girlfriend move in??? It's gonna cost you, one way or another....

Leave a comment:

• JonVortex
    replied
    Rent is less than £2k.

The building is a purpose built block of flats.

My concern is not about the inventory or whether or not she should remove them.

My concern is about whether or not she is able to ask for more rent for an extra person moving in. (assuming the contract doesn't explicitly reference this).

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied

The landlady is now being difficult about some of the furniture in the property - she had originally agreed to take some of it back, but then changed her mind the night before my gf moved in, so that we are going to have additional storage costs and have sold things we otherwise would not have done.
    The LL has no obligation to remove furnishings present at the start of the tenancy.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied

Re 1: - yes
    Re 2: - yes
    Re 3: - don't know, probably not.
    Re 4: - yes, well sort of, in a different flat but same building.
    How much is the rent, is it more or less than £2,083.33 per month?

Is the block a conversion or purpose built?

(I ask because these can both affect the status of the tenancy).

Leave a comment:

• JonVortex
    replied
    I agree re: wear and tear - but for the first ten months I spent half of my time at my girlfriends so it sort of evens out!

Re: contract I can't find it, so have asked for a copy from her. For the purposes of any advice you guys can give, let's assume it doesn't reference anything about people - because if it says something along the lines of I am not allowed guests or additional people to move in, then clearly I have very little leverage.

Re: inventory - I do have an inventory which I did together with her, but to be honest I am not that worried about the additional furniture. She has agreed I can put it in storage, I'll just need that in writing.

Re 1: - yes
    Re 2: - yes
    Re 3: - don't know, probably not.
    Re 4: - yes, well sort of, in a different flat but same building.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Well, she has a basis on moral grounds - 2 occupants are likely to result in extra wear & tear on the property.

Legally, it depends on your contract. So we can give more advice, can you tell us:
    1. Is there anything in the contract about the number of occupants
    2. Have you signed an inventory showing the stuff she has left
    ----------------------
    1. Is the property in England/Wales
    2. Did you pay a deposit
    3. Was it protected in a scheme
    4. Does the landlady live in the same property

Leave a comment:

• JonVortex
    started a topic Should I pay more if my Girlfriend moves in?

Should I pay more if my Girlfriend moves in?

I've been living in my apartment for about 10 months and have an 18 month contract.

My girlfriend has just moved in and out of courtesy I informed my landlady. She responded by asking for a 20% rent increase. I replied I felt that was unreasonable but would consider maybe a 10% increase for an extension to the contract.

The landlady is now being difficult about some of the furniture in the property - she had originally agreed to take some of it back, but then changed her mind the night before my gf moved in, so that we are going to have additional storage costs and have sold things we otherwise would not have done.

I am not best impressed and am unlikely to stay beyond the original term of the contract - another 8 months. As a result I don't really want to pay an extra 10% rent, especially as I now have the storage costs. I am not worried about the counter offer we made in email, as no updated contract was signed in any way.

But my question is - does she have any basis for requesting more rent now that my gf has moved in?

Many thanks for any help!
    Jon.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
    by Luke
    No, I have changed my mind , I will not be living abroad permanently , I will probably just go abroad for a few weeks at a time and reside at my UK property for the rest of the time...
    06-07-2022, 00:17 AM
  • Renting rooms
    by Luke
    I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
    I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
    I do not intend to live at the property
    Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
    As its...
    28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
  • Reply to Renters reform bill
    by DoricPixie
    You can thank the tenant with a dog I did let to in the past for now being reluctant to let to other people with dogs and probably cats too.

The fact your income comes for 100% benefits isn’t a hard no though as long as you are able to pass affordability....
    05-07-2022, 23:15 PM
  • Renters reform bill
    by flyingfreehold
    i have just read an interesting summary of all that is proposed in the EG (Estates Gazette). As drafted it effectively brings back a form of rent control as tenants will have the right to go to First Tier Tribunal to challenge any rent increases which must be proposed by section 13 notices.
    04-07-2022, 16:29 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    You’re not though are you? You’re getting these people to rent the property because you’ll be living overseas. The property will cease to be your only if main home.

Maybe you’ll get away with pretending these people are lodgers and these people will move out the property when you...
    05-07-2022, 23:09 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by Luke
    I do intend staying in the property permeantely though , although I may have to stay elsewhere sometimes...
    05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
  • Reply to Licensing inspection
    by royw
    Sounds like the power has gone to their heads Can't you, or rather the tenants, have some fun? Well placed boobie traps or a fierce dog perhaps?
    05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
  • Licensing inspection
    by Section20z
    Just had letter from London Borough of ****** saying they will be inspecting my house at some time in the next 28 days to ensure licence compliance. No further notice will be given and tenants are expected to grant access to all areas, windows to be left open for air supply, and doors all left open...
    05-07-2022, 13:57 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by ash72
    You would be creating an issue for yourself, you want to be able to evict a T (for whatever reason) which do not have the same rights as a T on an AST, the problem would be that you would have 2 T's who would have evidence etc, that you never lived there while they lived there...... When someone is...
    05-07-2022, 21:23 PM
  • Reply to Am I obliged to....
    by Sydaton
    It crosses my mind that if you install something that doesn't comply with regulations - eg a rope flush against the wall - then you might be more likely to be opening yourself up to a claim than if you'd left the stairs as they were when you bought the house....
    05-07-2022, 20:22 PM
Working...
X