Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent a Room Lodger Query - Help!

Hi

My rent a room lodger has recently moved out 3 weeks ago and is now requesting a copy of his contract agreement. I offered him a copy of this when he moved in but he declined. Am I legally entitled to provide him with this even now he has moved out? From what I can gather even though I have an agreement, there is no law that said I actually had to have one with rent a room.

He is trying to cause me problems so I am relunctant to provide him with anything unless I have to by law.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

No, you don't need to provide him one.

If he wants something on paper for a particular purpose, then ask him what purpose it is for, and write him a letter in reference to it(particular purpose) so that it can't be used for any other reason.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thanks for that.

Basically he was a problem lodger for the last few months so when he requested a reference I simply gave a verbal one over the phone to the letting agent confirming how long he had lived at my property and that he always paid on time (which he did). I wasn't prepared to give any further information.

When I asked him what he needed it for he said for the letting agents and for his own purpose and implied that he was legally entitled to it. Could it be that because I didn't provide a written reference the letting agents are requesting a copy of his agreement?

Comment

Originally posted by sazzle1102 View Post
        Thanks for that.

Basically he was a problem lodger for the last few months so when he requested a reference I simply gave a verbal one over the phone to the letting agent confirming how long he had lived at my property and that he always paid on time (which he did). I wasn't prepared to give any further information.

When I asked him what he needed it for he said for the letting agents and for his own purpose and implied that he was legally entitled to it. Could it be that because I didn't provide a written reference the letting agents are requesting a copy of his agreement?
        They might be, but it is not your problem. If he was that much of a pain, I wouldn't be wanting to make it easy for him to get another place any time soon, in any case. if you are feeling generous, tell him to tell the letting agents to send you a pre-printed reference request (make them do the work) and you will confirm what you said in the oral reference. Otherwise, ignore his request. You are not obliged to give him anything.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for all the information. Its much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X