Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent due date

Hi
    I wonder if anyone can offer me some advise, I commenced my tennancy on the 9th of june 2006, i paid six weeks deposit and one months rent. My agreemnet says the rent is due on the 9th. My landlady has severe money problems(only just discovered this) she needs to pay her mortgage on the 1st of each month. She now insists that i pay the rent on the 31st of each month. as i have not done that today she has advised that she is serving me with an eviction order today.The rent was paid on the 8th last month and i intend to pay it on the 8/9th this month. i have a six month ast am i in the wrong. she has also advised me that it has cost her £65.00 late payment )apaarantly my fault) surely with the depost and the two months rent she should have enough to pay her mortgage and is this really my problem

I am sure she can't do that to you, when any previous LL's have needed to change the date we have had a new contract and paid seperately the difference in rent to get us straight again.

Comment

What a stupid landlord. She is allegedly in financial difficulties yet seems to want to evict her tenant. If she evicts the tenant she will lose more in rental income and advertising costs than she would by getting a loan to cover her cashflow crisis.

As a gesture of goodwill debra you should make immediate arrangements to bring forward the date you authorise your bank to make the rental payment. The reason for this is that the cleared funds should be in your landlord's account on the rent due date. edit - to clarify Which is the 9th of each month

Be firm and friendly with this landlord as she could be in an extremely stressful financial situation and making the wrong decisions. If your landlord is worried by a few days rent in advance there is a possiblity of foreclosure by the landlords Building Society that would affect your long term tenancy in any case.

Let the landlord know by letter that there is no legal obligation for you to bring forward the date of your rental payments to the day she has demanded.

State that if she does indeed serve you with a Notice Requiring Possession you will not comply with that notice unless a Court Order is issued and you regard the threat of such notice linked to an illegal demand to pay rent in advance as harassment.
      Last edited by Worldlife; 01-08-2006, 14:18 PM. Reason: Clarified the rent due date instruction
      Vic - wicked landlord
      Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
      Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by Worldlife
        As a gesture of goodwill debra you should make immediate arrangements to bring forward the date you authorise your bank to make the rental payment. The reason for this is that the cleared funds should be in your landlord's account on the rent due date.
        For the LL to have cleared funds in her account by 1st, that means Debra will need to change her standing order (if that's how she pays) to approx the 26th of the month; which, if she gets paid monthly, is going to be before her paycheque is cleared, which puts Debra into an awkward cashflow situation. If I was a tenant being put into that situation, I'd say 'no way' I'm afraid.

The sensible way forward of course is for the LL to move the date of her own mortage payment until a bit later in the month; the lender should be happy enough to do this (might need a one-off interest payment to bridge the gap between old and new payment dates). Payment dates are something I always consider when setting up a new BTL mortgage (or if remortgaging my home) - it can be crucial to minimise cashflow problems.

Comment

Eric you have missed my point. For the rent to be in the landlord's account by 9th of the month Debra should ensure the payment is made from her account by 4th/5th.

I underline in Debra should not change the rent due day from the 9th of each month.

clarified in red font as edit additional sentence to earlier post
          Vic - wicked landlord
          Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
          Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by Worldlife
            Eric you have missed my point. For the rent to be in the landlord's account by 9th of the month Debra should ensure the payment is made from her account by 4th/5th.
            Gotcha. Thought you meant the proposed new date of 1st of the month. But it won't really help the LL if she does this, as the rent will still arrive a week after the mortgage payment's due, rather than ~10 days after)

Comment

Do we need to clarify if the rent is actually paid by standing order and not cash in hand etc.

Comment

Not really concerned about the landlord requiring "Tenant Aid".

Wanted to be safety belt sure the tenant was indeed paying her rent on the due date

Eric I agree with your suggested amendment payment date to meet the landlord's request but I see no real reason why the tenant should bring her rental payment so far in advance. I note there is a six week deposit - we have until now only asked for a four week deposit.

From the tenant's point of view bringing the payment forward could mean the loss of another month of rent from her cashflow for monthly outgoings and the situation only being put right before the ending of the tenancy.
                Vic - wicked landlord

Comment

Originally posted by Planner
                  Do we need to clarify if the rent is actually paid by standing order and not cash in hand etc.
                  Probably
                  Vic - wicked landlord

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to getting evicted - but no paperwork
                    by jpkeates
                    Solicitors have a code of practice.
                    They can't conjure possession hearings out of thin air....
                    03-06-2020, 23:00 PM
                  • getting evicted - but no paperwork
                    by beryl
                    I have today been told that I am getting evicted and that there is a hearing next week.
                    But I haven't received any Court papers, no notice to quit, no section 8, or section 21.
                    I don't even know how this is possible as I thought there was a ban on eviction hearings.
                    I owe rent yes,...
                    03-06-2020, 17:32 PM
                    by Jon66
                    Op said the landlord's solicitor emailed her.
                    03-06-2020, 22:34 PM
                  • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                    by jpkeates
                    If there's mould in the property it almost has to come from condensation inside.
                    The (alkaline) lime in the plaster and the acid in the mortar mean that water coming from outside doesn't usually allow mould to develop.

Mould forms when water that condenses on the surface is left there....
                    03-06-2020, 22:23 PM
                  • Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                    by Borischelski
                    I wonder if I could trouble someone for advice, having recently become a Landlord for the first time ?

BACKGROUND
                    A year ago I inherited a small 1970s one bedroom flat in Birmingham.

The flat was originally heated with a couple of electric bar heaters....
                    02-06-2020, 09:37 AM
                  • Reply to Leaving before s21 notice expires?
                    by jpkeates
                    I don't have any idea how this is meant to work.
                    But, the only people who really matter are the landlord and the tenant.

The agent works for the landlord, and if they've found themselves in a conflict if interest, have to resolve it in favour of the landlord.
                    They'll never accept...
                    03-06-2020, 22:12 PM
                  • Leaving before s21 notice expires?
                    by Kj47
                    I have received a s21 notice to leave at the end of August (this includes the current extended 3 month covid19 period). I wish to leave the property early as I have now found another property to rent but this can only be ‘held’ for a period of 2 months by the letting agent. I have asked if I can...
                    03-06-2020, 17:41 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    Yes, the courts are still just about functioning, so a money claim is still possible, if unlikely.
                    If a landlord came here seeking advice about a tenant in arrears, I would suggest a money claim rather than a possession claim, in the first instance.

However, tou should still receive...
                    03-06-2020, 22:09 PM
                    by Jon66
                    Yes if they have claimed for it, but it depends on what basis the possession proceedings are made. I don't think there was sarcasm, just a character. Artfuls comment re benefits is referring to himself, and he gave good advice re shelter. And some landlords are bad we know that, but I'm not one of the...
                    03-06-2020, 21:58 PM
                    by beryl
                    Jon66: there were sarcastic responses from a person further up. It's there to read.
                    I did contact CAB and my local council. I told my landlord in 2014 there was a leak, nothing done. Same again in 2017, 2018. Told in 2019 bath tub was dangerous, don't bath, nothing done by LL. At that same...
                    03-06-2020, 21:43 PM
                  Working...
                  X