Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evicting tenants

Hi
    Renting through an agent with everything gping well for 12 months then all of a sudden tenant stopped paying. Agent tried on numerous occasions to contact tenant, by phone and letter, but to no avail. Found out that the person who took out original tenancy is not the person who had been living there from day one. Also since payment stopped various people have been staying at the property. Utilities have not been paid and getting bailiff letters. Also alot of goods have been ordered over last few weeks. Furniture was moved out two weeks ago although there is still some guy staying there and rent still not paid. Waiting to go to court in a weeks time.

What else can we do?

Wait
    Worry
    Not a lot else - just make sure your court paperwork is checked and double checked - any deposit protected that should be.
    Prep for hearing in the ways I have stated in my previous posts - search my username davidjohnbutton

Comment

Originally posted by lol2 View Post
      Hi
      Renting through an agent with everything gping well for 12 months then all of a sudden tenant stopped paying. Agent tried on numerous occasions to contact tenant, by phone and letter, but to no avail. Found out that the person who took out original tenancy is not the person who had been living there from day one. Also since payment stopped various people have been staying at the property. Utilities have not been paid and getting bailiff letters. Also alot of goods have been ordered over last few weeks. Furniture was moved out two weeks ago although there is still some guy staying there and rent still not paid. Waiting to go to court in a weeks time.

What else can we do?
      Employ a letting agent who keeps a better eye on your property for you?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Doing weekly flat check at mo the guy staying there does not seem to have been back for over a week, everything the same as last week. Videoing every time visit flat. Still not responding to calls or letters - all opended in flat.

Why does the law protect tenants what about Landlords that do everything by the book. This was our original home and had to let out due to negative equity.

Comment

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Doing weekly flat check at mo the guy staying there does not seem to have been back for over a week, everything the same as last week. Videoing every time visit flat. Still not responding to calls or letters - all opended in flat.

Why does the law protect tenants what about Landlords that do everything by the book. This was our original home and had to let out due to negative equity.
          I am not sure what the point is of videoing this man's movements since you will not be able to end the tenancy and 'get him out' any sooner than you would the original tenant whose name is on the contract.

As soon as you have a court order for possession, you can instruct bailiffs who will remove all occupiers, whoever they are.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

reason for video is that my agent only logging what they see when they go round to the flat - reckon they cannot log what I see when I am there.

Another: who pays for the court costs is us or my agent?

Comment

reason for video is that my agent only logging what they see when they go round to the flat - reckon they cannot log what I see when I am there.

Another: who pays for the court costs is us or my agent?
              Why do you think your agent is liable? (Unless you are planning to sue him for incompetence, perhaps). I believe the tenant is normally liable for section 8 court costs, however your chances of extracting the money from him must be slim, given the circumstances you have detailed.

I still do not understand why you or the agent think that videoing your flat is a good idea! It will achieve nothing and could even be construed as harassment, which might hold up your court order - I would back off and just wait for the hearing.

Comment

If you've done everything buy the book, your tenant will not be protected will he?
                Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Evicting Tenants

Just in process of making application to court to evict tenant. Whilst application is being made if the tenant leaves flay and also leaves the keys can we withdraw application? My agent says it would be best to carry on with the process to ensure we get possesion back as tenant can come back at anytime and ask for set of keys!!!!!!! Is this true?????????

Comment

Just in process of making application to court to evict tenant. Whilst application is being made if the tenant leaves flay and also leaves the keys can we withdraw application? My agent says it would be best to carry on with the process to ensure we get possesion back as tenant can come back at anytime and ask for set of keys!!!!!!! Is this true?????????
                    Once the money has been paid(court fee), I would just go ahead with the process.

Withdrawing beforehand "depends" on a multitude of varying factors.
                    In 99% of situations, I wouldn't bother, and get another tenant for the property, and abandon the possession order.
                    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tricky Situation: Moving out - Furniture
                      by london91
                      Thanks for commenting.

Thing is, as a friend, she was helping me search for items. So about 4 things we found, she found on her Shpock account. However, I always covered expenses whether she found an item or I did....
                      25-10-2021, 08:12 AM
                    • Tricky Situation: Moving out - Furniture
                      by london91
                      I want to get opinions on a matter that's related to moving out and furniture.

I rent a 2 bedroom house. I have a relaxed landlord that does the minimum but she's kind and mostly fair. I'm very good friends with her granddaughter. Sometimes the line is blurry with tenant-landlord communication...
                      24-10-2021, 22:38 PM
                    • Reply to Tricky Situation: Moving out - Furniture
                      by jpucng62
                      If you found the frames, arranged collection and paid the costs of collection I would suggest they are yours. If your friend is going to insist on them staying at the cost of your friendship she isn't much of a friend.

I would take everything with me except what was on the inventory when...
                      25-10-2021, 06:59 AM
                    • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                      by Yorkie2020
                      Thank you for the info. The house she rented from me a few years ago is and was solely in my name, I used to live there as a teenager and it's just around the corner from her mum. All of the money she paid went to her mum to be repaid to her for a deposit on a house.

The house she rented...
                      25-10-2021, 06:16 AM
                    • Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                      by Yorkie2020
                      Good evening all,

I wonder if I could get some advice on ending an AST tenancy in England.

Originally a 6 month AST last Sept between my niece and her partner, I foolishly listed both on the AST as joint tenants and didn't list him as a permitted, there was no deposit paid....
                      20-10-2021, 19:44 PM
                    • Reply to Compulsory Landlord Training & Registration
                      by Hudson01
                      royw - Well said, if only, we have far too many 'hangers-on' and those with a vested interest in doing the very least for the very most.

Any scheme introduced which will be administered by the local authorities will be an exercise in futility, they will take our money and pocket it, simply...
                      24-10-2021, 20:45 PM
                    • Compulsory Landlord Training & Registration
                      by landlord-man
                      Compulsory Landlord Training & Registration

Sadly, the more and more time I spend on this forum, the more I'm coming round to the idea.

NRLA training is straight-forward and very cheap, people should take a look. There is the added benefit of all the advice and forms etc...
                      Keep things as they are
                      25.00%
                      Have a Compulsory (cost sensible) Training Requirement for Landlords
                      0%
                      Have a Compulsory (free) Landlord Database to be operated by NRLA (or similar)
                      25.00%
                      Have a Compulsory (free) Landlord Database controlled by Local Authorities
                      50.00%
                      24-10-2021, 09:37 AM
                      by royw
                      They should start by making sure letting agents know what they're doing.
                      No register will be free, we will be paying the inflated salaries of yet more pen pushers. The law abiding will pay for it and the rogue landlords will continue to ignore regulations just as they do now. IMO the country...
                      24-10-2021, 20:14 PM
                      by Ted.E.Bear
                      In the EPC consultation there is a suggestion of a national register, at a cost of £30 per property.

"we are proposing to expand the scope of the current PRS Exemptions Register and redesign it as a property compliance and exemptions database operated by a third-party provider. "...
                      24-10-2021, 16:43 PM
                      by jpucng62
                      We also need tenants to educate themselves - the How to Rent guide is so basic and by the time they receive it it is too late. Tenants calling out LLs on EPCs, gas safety, EICRs would encourage LLs to be compliant and we could identify tenants who are complicit in poor standards in return for cheap...
                      24-10-2021, 16:10 PM
                    Working...
                    X