Standing order to pay rent - which date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mariner View Post
    But the payee still has DD Guarantee unless not paid due to 'insufficient funds in Account
    The Direct Debit Guarantee is intended to protect payers. I’m not aware of any protections it gives to payees.

Originally posted by mariner View Post
    AFAIK a private individual cannot alone create a DD, only a SO over which T has control.
    That’s correct. Direct Debit is a payment method offered by a payee. Standing orders, on the other hand, are controlled entirely by the payer. Most landlords don’t offer Direct Debits.

Comment

Modern banks like Monzo actually use the faster payments system rather than BACS to send their standing orders, so they go at weekends and are instant unless delayed for anti fraud checks.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

I agree on the sentiment but I think (and have learnt from bitter experience) it is best to go absolutely ballistic the very first working day the rent is late.

If you don't, the rent is seen as optional and they will do it again and again and ultimately it helps no-one.
        Interesting view on going ballistic, but I can see the reason

And I agree although I'd give one additional day before I raised the issue

To the original post - pay on the day it says, and if that falls on a weekend it will go through on the next working day, no issue

If you are worried, just speak to your LA and tell him/her what you're doing, I'm sure they won't have a problem

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Neighbour issues
          by amy131
          I have been reluctant to do anything that might worsen the situation in respect of any hostility towards my tenants, and as there has been a death in the family at this neighbouring property. From what I have seen and heard today it seems there is some work going on inside the property and so its likely...
          15-01-2021, 20:36 PM
        • Neighbour issues
          by amy131
          An elderly couple used to live next door to a house I own. Up until recently there haven't been any issues. They were never talkative, liked to keep to themselves, didn't respond if I said hi, so I didn't/ don't know them well. Recently I think the elderly man may have died, he hasn't been seen for...
          14-09-2020, 19:31 PM
        • Reply to Shop workers below my flat are smoking & setting off smoke alarms & making life hell
          by Hudson01
          It sounds like a nightmare, i have never smoked and would be really unhappy if my home smelt of fags ........ just as an aside, if the fag smoke gets in that easy i do not hold out much for your survival rate if there were a fire down there....... although you do appear to have a very good smoke detector...
          15-01-2021, 20:14 PM
        • Shop workers below my flat are smoking & setting off smoke alarms & making life hell
          by jocular
          So, I have lived in my current property for nearly a year.

Everything has been okay after a bit of a rough start. But this past week; the shop below me has someone new working there and they have taken up smoking indoors in the backroom.
          The room they are smoking in is directly below...
          14-01-2021, 16:22 PM
        • Reply to Neighbour issues
          by Hudson01
          Have you thought of the anti social behaviour officer in the local authority ? They are not just there for local authority tenants etc. I would also report the rubbish bags being thrown to the Police as this is also an offence. As you have said (and sadly all i expected) these are not the type of people...
          15-01-2021, 20:08 PM
        • Reply to My tenant has passed away and their son isn't leaving the property
          by Hudson01
          Has the Son's sister mentioned anything about '' rent '' ? I gather he intends to simply sit there, pay nothing, not give notice and wait it out ....... payment free living.
          15-01-2021, 19:55 PM
        • My tenant has passed away and their son isn't leaving the property
          by Con
          My tenant has passed away and their son isn't leaving the property. Their tenancy runs out at the end of January. I knew the son was staying there as a carer for my tenant. The son's sister told me that the son would not sign the tenancy. The son was looking after the utility bills and had them in...
          15-01-2021, 16:24 PM
        • Reply to Should I consider this tenant?
          by Hudson01
          My gut feeling on this one without any further investigation would be a big fat NO, there is too much of a 'story' to tell and that alone would ring many alarm bells for me, he maybe an ok chap but i would not take that chance where there are lots of other tenants to pick from out there.
          15-01-2021, 19:49 PM
        • Should I consider this tenant?
          by Flashback1966
          I have a potential tenant. He says he has recently broken up, so for the past 3 months living in a budget hotel.

He is self-employed. Not much in the way of savings.

He did own a home, but it was in the wife's name, which they bought in 2005. He is making no claims, as his...
          15-01-2021, 14:42 PM
        • Reply to Section 21, Lockdown & Harassment from Landlord
          by Hudson01
          The LL appears to not have a clue what he is doing, but that aside the end result (way down the line) will be your leaving this property, you know this will occur so make real efforts now to look for something else, leaving under your own steam is far less stressful than with someone else's assistance....
          15-01-2021, 19:45 PM
        Working...
        X