Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent help required-tennant pulling out,deposit&first month paid

Good morning,

This is my first post and I am in urgent need of advice please. Here is the situation:

New T signed 6 month tennancy agreement, we exchanged keys for deposit and first month rent on August 2nd, 2 days later the T's daughter (T does not speak english) rang to tell us that T has been offered subsidised housing and no longer wants our house. We explained that T signed agreement and would then unfortunately need to pay the 6 months to get out of said agreement. She said they have not moved in yet as they were cleaning and painting first. On Aug 5th a man rang me to say he was with the Poles Advice Bureau and that they have deemed the house unfit for living. I was in shock as the house is lovely and we can even obtain written statements from former tennants to verify this. I asked what made it unfit and he hesitated and finally said that it had a horrible smell, was very unclean and there were stains all over the walls and mold. This is all completely untrue as the previous tennant cleaned thoroughly and had just repainted within the last few months! We entered the property yesterday to check on this and there was no smell, mould or stains, we have pictured every room for our own back up. The chap from the Poles Advice Bureau said that the T wants all his money back and £350 for repainting!! I told him that was not our responsibility as the tennant was happy with the condition of the house when he signed the agreement so any painting he wanted to do was at his own expense. He said they want £350 but are open to offers. When I asked for his name, company name, address, etc., he was very shady and although the mobile number he provided was correct, the land line was one digit short, he insisted it was correct. I looked up the street view of the address on google maps and it was all terraced houses, no office buildings, I think he may be a fraud. Our local Citizens Advise Bureau have never heard of his Bureau. He said that under 'Consular Law' his client had the right to pull out of the agreement within 7 days, I can find nothing on the internet to support this. My feeling is that the offer for subsidised housing came through after they signed our agreement and they are now just trying to do anything to get out of the agreement so they don't loose the subsidised housing, who knows, this Poles Advise Bureau chap could even just be a friend of the family? Please, please if anyone can provide any advice urgently it would be very much appreciated.

The first thing to be clear on is that, irrespective of a tenancy, a contract has been signed, that needs to be ahered to. I am guessing that your 'tenant' has minimal assets so it is pointless to pursue, but I would suggest you keep the first months rent, and once you have protected it with DPS, you reclaim the deposit in lieu of unpaid rent.

Tenant may attempt to sue to get this money back, but I don't think you need have too many fears (ianal) and I would counterclaim for the balance of the rent due if they do so.

See if this Poles Advice Bureaux is on the web - they could be in a residential type property, my local CAB is in a building that was a house, and is surrounded by residential properties - but I suspect your suspicions are correct.

Comment

Speak to the tenant and get them to surrender the property.

Then say their liability for rent at the property will cease when you've found another suitable tenant.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X