Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming of deposit from tenants

At long last my non paying tenant has left my property,

However it was not left in what I consider to be clean.

There is a deposit of £750

He owes £650 in unpaid rent, I am trying to keep the other £100 as the carpets were soiled with food and require cleaning, we found a human hair pigtail under the couch along with bits of toast.

The tenant left a pile of rubbish which will need to be a paid for collection and to top it all the vacuum cleaner on the inventory ( which he signed) has gone walkabouts. ( he now denies he ever saw a cleaner)

We both agree he owes £650 in unpaid rent but he will not authorise the 650 because we are in dispute over the £100 remaining.

Is he able to with hold the £650 or should it be paid immediately so as I can pay my mortgage on time? or can he delay the refund, ( it is with an assured scheme).

Should I just give up the £100 and let it go? or any other advice? I am sick to the back teeth of this tenant and just want to get on.

Originally posted by pigsinspace View Post
    At long last my non paying tenant has left my property,

However it was not left in what I consider to be clean.

There is a deposit of £750

He owes £650 in unpaid rent, I am trying to keep the other £100 as the carpets were soiled with food and require cleaning, we found a human hair pigtail under the couch along with bits of toast.

The tenant left a pile of rubbish which will need to be a paid for collection and to top it all the vacuum cleaner on the inventory ( which he signed) has gone walkabouts. ( he now denies he ever saw a cleaner)

We both agree he owes £650 in unpaid rent but he will not authorise the 650 because we are in dispute over the £100 remaining.

Is he able to with hold the £650 or should it be paid immediately so as I can pay my mortgage on time? or can he delay the refund, ( it is with an assured scheme).

Should I just give up the £100 and let it go? or any other advice? I am sick to the back teeth of this tenant and just want to get on.
    1.Which scheme is the deposit protected with?

2.Do you have a detailed check-in inventory and schedule of condition agreed by the tenant at the start at the tenancy, showing that the property was in a much cleaner condition then, than it was at checkout? If not, then there is little point in trying to claim the £100 for cleaning.

If you have the evidence, you could of course add together the true cost of what he owes you (rent, full cost of cleaning, the lot) and sue him through the courts. LLs seem to fare better by doing this than by using the arbitration scheme. This would (I think) mean paying him back his deposit though, and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for the reply, mind the gap

The deposit is secured, by the agents (Allan and Harris) Sequence UK I have no idea what scheme.

Yes there is a full independent inventory,

Since I removed the tenant I have had 2 lots of " collectors" turn up on the doorstep for unpaid utilities bills.

I am just a bit hacked off he is trying to not authorise the repayment of the deposit even though he owes £650 in unpaid rent, AND he was served a section 8.

Obviously he needs the £100 more than me so It will probably be cut and hope I never see him again

Comment

Thanks for the reply, mind the gap

The deposit is secured, by the agents (Allan and Harris) Sequence UK I have no idea what scheme.

Yes there is a full independent inventory,

Since I removed the tenant I have had 2 lots of " collectors" turn up on the doorstep for unpaid utilities bills.

I am just a bit hacked off he is trying to not authorise the repayment of the deposit even though he owes £650 in unpaid rent, AND he was served a section 8.

Obviously he needs the £100 more than me so It will probably be cut and hope I never see him again
        The unpaid utility bills are not your problem.

If you have an independent inventory as evidence of the state he left it in (compared with at the beginning) I would be tempted to tell your agent to raise a dispute with the scheme and claim back both rent and cleaning costs. The deposit scheme arbitration scheme is free and you have nothing to lose, have you?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

only the fact I want to pay the mortgage on time (10th Aug).

tenant has been consistently late since feb....

Comment

only the fact I want to pay the mortgage on time (10th Aug).

tenant has been consistently late since feb....
            It's up to you. The deposit schemes usually take a few weeks to decide on each case, no more. You have to submit a case file of evidence though.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X