Buying then renting back

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Buying then renting back

    We are buying (not yet exchanged) and then renting back to the ex-vendors. We are charging £25 per month for 6 months and then increasing the rent by £100 per month every month. The vendors are having difficulty getting a suitable property where they want it. We are not in a great hurry to move as we need to decide / specify / design / get planning and BR approvals to major alterations and an extension to the property.

    The tenants-to-be have agreed to maintain and insure the building and pay all taxes etc. However we will have a repairing obligation under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. How do we avoid this conflict of obligations ?

    I can't see that morally you can - from the date you complete the purchase, the property is yours and so are the obligations.

    I am not sure the tenants would be able to insure it, as they have minimal liability for the property.

    Utility bills are, obviusly theirs, but build the cost of insurance and any other obligations you wanted to impose on the tenants into a revised rent.

    Obviously, you will have the full landlord obliations, not just the Act you mention.

    What if they don't pay rent - how do you intend to evict them?

    What if they don't leave? Same question but also, do you think a rent that could potentially rise to an unlimited amount would stand up in court under UTCCR?


      Be careful. We sold our old house to an Investor and asked if we could not find anywhere else if we could rent temporarily. We were advised that Buyers who do this need to e regulated by the Financial services authority.... not sure of the full ins and outs.. lots has happened since April and I have forgotten lol!
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

      Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!


        Originally posted by emjay99 View Post
        We are buying (not yet exchanged) and then renting back to the ex-vendors.
        You must be authorised by the FSA to do a SRB deal. See this document for full details and this page for more information. If you go ahead with this arrangement, without authorisation and it comes to the FSA attention, you leave yourself open to some serious consequences.


          Originally posted by emjay99 View Post
          However we will have a repairing obligation under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. How do we avoid this conflict of obligations ?
          You could obtain a County Court order, under s.12, to authorise inclusion in the Letting Agreement of a clause contracting-out of your s.11 obligations as L. The Court has power to do this if satisfied that it's reasonable in the circumstances.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


            Sale and rent back


            Thanks for that warning. I have spoken with the FSA and expect them to send a written confirmation that the SRB scheme does not apply to private, one-off arrangements between private individuals. I will post up the result when it arrives.


              Buy and rentback FSA Authorisation


              The FSA advise me that as I would fail their "By Way of Business" test, because this is a one-off for me, they would not consider that I need to be authorised by the FSA.

              The FSA handbook, PERG section 14 (at ht tp: // refers.



              Latest Activity


              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hooper
                I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
              • Single parent renting
                by Dct
                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hudson01
                This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Hudson01
                As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
              • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Forgetmeknot
                I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
              • Reply to Let a house to local council
                by ram
                If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

                It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
                18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
              • Let a house to local council
                by r3drum

                Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

                Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
                20-11-2019, 11:58 AM
              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by theartfullodger
                'phone Shelter 0808 800 4444 for advice.
                18-05-2022, 18:31 PM
              • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                by abimsalabim
                As I said in the original post, the deposit is NOT in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme but, instead is being held directly by the Agent....
                18-05-2022, 18:31 PM
              • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                by abimsalabim
                I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                18-05-2022, 14:15 PM