s21 expired

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    s21 expired

    s21 was served correctly and is now expired
    very problematic lha tenants to deal with - owe 2k in rent arrears

    so they are not going until baliffs knock on door ..

    presumably i need a possesion order - what forms do i need and what cost will this be can i try and get my costs back somehow.

    and then i need to instruct bailifs does this require forms

    and i am just wondering what tactics could they use to delay or stop procedure.
    thanks to all who respond

    Start with form N5B from the www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk website.

    The cost of filing is £150 and you will need proof of service of the s21 and proof of deposit protection (if applicable) together with a copy of the AST. If it is a licensable HMO you will need a copy of your HMO license as well.

    Once the judge makes the order, the council should be willing to help the tenant - so you may not need a bailiff.

    If you do, then you need to organise this once the eviction date has passed - iirc, the cost is £90.

    Your tenancy agreement may make the tenant liable for the cost of these actions, so recover them from the deposit or guarantor.

    Use the www.moneyclaim.gov.uk website to get an order for the missing rent - although if they have no assets and you have no guarantor you may be wasting your time.

    BTW - why use s21? s8 (ground 8) would have got you possession more quickly, cost less and included a court order for the missing rent.


      When you say you want to get your costs back, do you mean the court costs, or do you want a judgement for the arrears as well?
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong


        Originally posted by greek island 1 View Post
        very problematic lha tenants to deal with
        That T is on benefits is irrelevant. Your rights are no different than if T were paying own rent.
        Did you obtain a Deed of Guarantee?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


        Latest Activity


        • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
          by Lawcruncher
          In a case where the deposit protection rules do not apply how a deposit is dealt with depends on the terms on which it is held. What does the tenancy agreement or other relevant document say?
          19-05-2022, 09:14 AM
        • Is my estate agent misleading me?
          by abimsalabim
          I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
          18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
        • Reply to Single parent renting
          by Another Fine Mess
          I will never again rent to a family as my property is unsuitable.
          My first two tenants did not have any issue with damp.
          Then I rented it to a family where at the start of the tenancy the lady had a baby.
          Then a about 2 months later they started complaining to the Letting Agent about...
          19-05-2022, 09:14 AM
        • Single parent renting
          by Dct
          A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
          18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
        • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by jpkeates
          You might find a sympathetic judge.

          But you have to consider what you're trying to argue.
          If you'd been in a car crash and were in hospital and unable to work, that wouldn't be a defence to not paying rent owed.
          You're trying to argue that it was the landlord driving the car...
          19-05-2022, 09:01 AM
        • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by Forgetmeknot
          I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
          so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
          18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
        • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by Forgetmeknot
          Thankyou for your replies.

          Taking on board your comments but interested in how you think it is two separate things….?
          One action was the direct cause of another land if I’m in court disputing amount of money owed isn’t that the time to be arguing my case? Not to be receiving...
          19-05-2022, 08:32 AM
        • Reply to Single parent renting
          by doobrey

          In my view, both sides must be free to choose. If you take away the right of businesses (which LLs are, whether they consider themselves to be or not) to assess risk and respond accordingly they will not be in business for very long. And if the LLs disappear then...
          19-05-2022, 08:18 AM
        • Reply to Single parent renting
          by Dct
          The UC is too help pay for childcare, so she can work ( and does work full time), therefore pay rent/bills etc etc. It just feels like some landlords make sweeping judgements as soon as they hear single parent in receipt of UC
          19-05-2022, 08:16 AM
        • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
          by DoricPixie
          You don't need to get the details from the Land Registry. The tenant can request, in writing, the letting agency to supply the landlord's contact details citing the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. I'm not sure how wise that would be if it could potentially hack off the landlord although I do wonder...
          19-05-2022, 08:09 AM