Appealing against DPS arbitration decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appealing against DPS arbitration decision

I am a Landlord and DPS have just arbitrated on a disputed deposit. My losses exceed the deposit however I was awarded only 5% of the deposit. The DPS Report list all the first submission of evidence by the Tennant and myself but omits the further evidence or the Landlords second submission. This evidence addressed points (lies) raised by the Tennant. The DPS acknowledged receipt of this information from me but I feel that the Adjudicator never received my further evidence. To my mind this is maladministration and the DPS should fully refund the deposit irrespective of what they paid back to the Tennant. The DPC will not engage in meaningful discussion only to say the report does not have to identify the evidence. However two paragraphs are given over to listing the evidence so I disagree, this is against the principles of report writing. Any comment or similar cases please?

Originally posted by kholmes View Post
    I am a Landlord and DPS have just arbitrated on a disputed deposit. My losses exceed the deposit however I was awarded only 5% of the deposit. The DPS Report list all the first submission of evidence by the Tennant and myself but omits the further evidence or the Landlords second submission. This evidence addressed points (lies) raised by the Tennant. The DPS acknowledged receipt of this information from me but I feel that the Adjudicator never received my further evidence. To my mind this is maladministration and the DPS should fully refund the deposit irrespective of what they paid back to the Tennant. The DPC will not engage in meaningful discussion only to say the report does not have to identify the evidence. However two paragraphs are given over to listing the evidence so I disagree, this is against the principles of report writing. Any comment or similar cases please?
    The judgement of the arbitration is final and legally binding, is my understanding. I do not know if they have a redress procedure.
    Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
      The judgement of the arbitration is final and legally binding.
      Except for appealing on a point of law (i.e. if the Arbitrator makes a manifest error in applying the law to the circumstances).
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

kholmes

I feel that the DPS adjudicator should have been in possession of my "further evidence" which clearly exposed the lies told by my Tennant. As the report points to the evidence not being made available it is not such a surprise that the adjudicator has taken the side of the Tennant. I cannot appeal the decision - but can I challenge the administration error by DPS which resulted in evidence not being put forward?

The DPS do not appear to have a watchdog and seemingly can/do avoid their responsibilities?

Any similar experiences or solutions please?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
          by gnvqsos
          Why object to exterior redecoration-surely this is quiet and non-invasive?There seems to be most of the work done-now you can sit back and enjoy the improved house.Most people seem to complain because the landlord does too little.
          22-09-2020, 15:51 PM
        • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
          by thesleepingdog
          Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
          22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
        • Direct Debit vs Standing Order
          by danwestgarth
          Has anyone any experience in collecting rent from tenants using Direct Debit opposed to Standing Order? From what i understand, with Direct Debit the payee (landlord) is in control, rather than the payor (tenant). JCould be a good way to minimize missed payments during covid-19. Does anyone know of...
          22-09-2020, 15:44 PM
        • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
          by DPT57
          Well if the market rent for your properties has increased and you think that there would be a good prospect of re-letting quickly and there is a low risk that your existing tenant will stop paying rent altogether then from a business point of view, it makes sense to increase the rent. Having said that,...
          22-09-2020, 14:57 PM
        • Rent Rises in 2020
          by jpucng62
          I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
          19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
          by jpucng62
          Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
          22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
        • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
          by MR M
          I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
          22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
        • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
          by MR M
          The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
          16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
        • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
          by newtenant9011
          You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
          22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
          by DPT57
          In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
          22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
        Working...
        X