Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenanat keeps complaining about Repairs

Hi,

my tenant is on a 12 months AST which is now in the 6 month. My tenant keeps complaing about repairs, which sometimes don't even exist, (eg I can smell gas, but on expection there is no smell !)

One of her common complaints is the waste water drains keep getting blocked. However, everytime I visit there is no blockage and she claims it cleared up. She generally says I was giving the kids a bath when I came downstairs, waste water was comming out of the kitchen sink waste water outlet. I have even bought her mr muscle sink unblocker twice !

Another frequent claim is a small amount of water seaps in from the garage walls when it rains.

I'm not sure what to do with this tenant, My letting agents are absolutely useless, saying I need to resolve all issues with the tenant.

Please advise on what Ishould do.

Many thanks.

Firstly, if she thinks she can smell gas, tell her to phone the GasBoard emergency number - there's precious little you can do about it.

Regarding the waste water "problem" .. it sounds as though she may be using too much "sudsy" product in the bath - this would cause the suds to back up, and then disappear later.

Tell her that in future you will charge her for every abortive call out you have to make. That will probably resolve the problem !!

PS Have you ever considered she might like you and it's just an excuse to get you round ?
    Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

I don't know but if waste water goes into the kitchen sink when you empty the bath upstairs there's obviously a problem !

Sometimes when a gas boiler goes on (you're getting hot water out of the tap etc.) you can smell gas for a short time around it.
      If it smells of gas for a while she should contact the emergency number.

If water's seaping in from the garange when it rains it would be in your interest to fix it as there is apparently a structural problem (tiles have moved?) and it would affect your asset that is the house.

You can't ignore complaints about problems if it's not about simply changing a light bulb. It's worth checking on them and reassuring the tenant at the time although you can warn them that if you show up and there is no problem you might hav eto charge them for coming out.

Comment

Have you ever considered some of these may be intermittent problems?

I occasionally smell gas when the boiler comes on if I'm standing by the open kitchen window next to the boiler. It doesn't happen every time though and also depends on things like wind direction. I've no idea if it matters, I'd assumed not. Why don't you at least find out if small amounts of gas smell matter and let her know the results.

As for the water seeping onto the garage walls when it rains, this can be quite common especially if the lead flushing over the joints isn't watertight. Often this only shows up when the wind blows driving rain in. I don't see it should matter to the tenant much, it's up to you if you mind a bit of damp in the garage. The garage here has leaking guttering, I reported it for the landlord's benefit not my own. It hasn't been fixed and I don't much care if he ends up with damp in there.

As for the waste water. Well the problem is hardly going to show up unless the bath is emptied. Maybe she could keep a bath full of water to demonstrate? Waste water in the kitchen sink isn't acceptable IMO.
        ~~~~~

Comment

I don't know but if waste water goes into the kitchen sink when you empty the bath upstairs there's obviously a problem !

this can usually be solved by fitting an anti-syphon waste pipe under the kitchen sink
          Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

Comment

a blocked pipe (waste pipe) would cause the sink to fill if the blockage was quite far down pipe ie just outside, a plumber or anyone who can rod the drain could fix this,as to the boiler and gas smell, if its the smell of the flue gases this is normal although the distance of the flue to windows or eaves should be checked,and a gas soundness check should be done to check the house isnt going to blow up,as to water seepage id go with the others check flashings and gutters,all these couldbe fixed buy a plumber within an hour or one hours work and three banging on the pipe

Comment

Originally posted by arlow11
              a plumber or anyone who can rod the drain could fix this,
              Oh no, do this yourself! There's a strange satisfaction to be found in ramming away at years of accumulated grease that have turned a main drain into something that water occasionally seeps through, then seeing it start to gush free. The other advantage is that when you see the effect of grease on a nine-inch pipe, you realise what it must be doing to your arteries, and you'll never look at a bacon buttie in quite the same way again.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
                by Chester Perry
                I posted elsewhere on here and feedback was a mix of its not worth it as nothing will happen (plus police will treat as a tenancy issue) and its worth doing to get a crime number.

Not going to claim on insurance given excess etc. The fridge freezers value second hand / age considered probably...
                18-09-2020, 14:22 PM
              • Part furnished
                by Chester Perry
                Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
              • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                by jpkeates
                A 15 year old washing machine has almost zero value (and will have less when you move out).
                The landlord can only legitimately claim for their loss if you bin it.

A mid range washing machine is about £350 (and they haven't changed much in price recently), and imagining one would...
                18-09-2020, 14:14 PM
              • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                by Bumblebee3000
                We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
                17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
              • Reply to Part furnished
                by theartfullodger
                Trust you've reported the thefts to police
                18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
              • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                by Bumblebee3000
                This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
                18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
              • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                by jpkeates
                The process seems to have changed recently.
                The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
                You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
                But you do that with only access to what the...
                18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
              • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                by Maymiss
                I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
                03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
              • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                by jpkeates
                Every notice escalated to court is recorded and the figures published quarterly, so breaking out the s21 notices from the s8 shouldn't be complicated.

Two of the links are to House of Commons research papers, to be fair!...
                18-09-2020, 13:51 PM
              • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                by fmST1
                When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
                I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
                11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
              Working...
              X