Electric Meter changed without me knowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
    You can't simply look at the tariff and decide which is cheaper.
    Agreed - it also depends on the address of the property and energy consumption.
    I certainly wouldn't decide for a tenant what tariff they should be on.
    No; but I/we were talking about your own usage, which presumably you know and can therefore work out pretty easily which company would suit your needs best, using something like www.uswitch.com. I'd be really surprised if you couldn't do significantly better than your current tarriff, if you've been with BG for 9 years. Personally I've changed about 4 times within that timeframe; last time was about three months ago - took about 10 mins; no hassle; and should save me well over £100/year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
      Agreed - it also depends on the address of the property and energy consumption.
      There's probably half a dozen things to take into account, which also includes standing charges, Economy 7 rates, Direct Debit discounts etc etc.

The point I am trying to put across is if it costs the landlord nothing, I can't see it as something to get concerned about, and demanding a "normal" meter put in.

Just the same way that most people keep the same current account forever despite there being better ones suited, I would be surprised if most people are changing energy suppliers/tarrifs to take advantage of promotional deals. Especially in short term rental properties.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
        The point I am trying to put across is if it costs the landlord nothing, I can't see it as something to get concerned about, and demanding a "normal" meter put in.
        I think that is where the confusion on this thread has arisen. Although it doesn't 'cost' the landlord more (except in voids) it does make the property less attractive and more difficult to let. The cost of fuel (being so high) is now an issue many tenants are concerned about.

Comment

Thanks for help

Thanks to all that responded.
          I have spoke with British Gas and they are coming out on Friday to remove the Pay As You Go Meter and fit a credit meter.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
            by Perce
            OS7

Yes you can start your application now. The sooner the better, I think, as it takes time. My solicitors applied in the middle of Jan but I have not heard anything yet neither from the County Court nor The High Court (I applied to both).

As far as I know the tenants...
            24-01-2021, 19:06 PM
          • MCOL & PCOL
            by OS7
            Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
            04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
          • Reply to Tenant county court claim
            by alice123
            I would get the advice of a good solicitor , he will charge but he will be able to help
            I personally think you did all you could to prevent this and the fact that you have -

'we offered a professional mould clean, a dehumidifier and a to visit the flat to inspect the mould ourselves....
            24-01-2021, 18:51 PM
          • Tenant county court claim
            by Jennyturn
            Hello,

I would really appreciate some advice before I contact a solicitor.

In October my tenant reported that their was water coming in through a extractor fan via our agent. Who sent a contractor who recommended a damp report.

I agree to this and it stated damp...
            24-01-2021, 13:14 PM
          • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
            by OS7
            Thanks Perce.
            I hope to speak to council tomorrow to let them know my intentions to evict.
            I also wanted to ask about your HCEO proceedings. Have you heard anyyhing back.
            Could I also ask as I am going via county court enforcement, could I start the application now for county court...
            24-01-2021, 18:02 PM
          • Reply to What happens when furlough ends?
            by Neelix
            a bit like lots of UK benefits...
            24-01-2021, 17:39 PM
          • What happens when furlough ends?
            by JK0
            A worrying thought has occurred to me tonight. If furlough ends on 30th April, as I believe it's meant to, are we going to find loads more tenants unable to pay their rent?

I know one of mine is a taxi driver, and I'm amazed he's managed to come up with the rent so far.

Any...
            23-01-2021, 19:40 PM
          • Reply to Renting to a housing professional
            by Hudson01
            Covid or not, no one will walk over any of my rental thresholds without me first meeting them, never have and never will, I put this alone down to why after many years in the BTL arena i have had zero arrears and zero notable issues.

Its sounds odd behavior, that alone would be a no.
            24-01-2021, 17:24 PM
          • Renting to a housing professional
            by Celibin
            I have advertised a good size flat in a small town via an established Letting agent. A chap who lives some 60 miles away and will be working from home has got a colleague locally to visit the place and an offer has been made on it. (e will not be seeing the flat himself (as far as I am aware) and prefers...
            22-01-2021, 15:49 PM
          • Reply to What happens when furlough ends?
            by Hudson01
            I can see that point of view, my concern is the length of it and how people can easily become comfortable in getting paid very well for doing nothing at all, then getting back to work. My job has meant i have worked throughout the pandemic and in fact have been even more busy than normal, i have talked...
            24-01-2021, 17:09 PM
          Working...
          X