Electric Meter changed without me knowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Meter changed without me knowing

In short I have had a tenant do a runner and also done some damage. I have had a notice on the front door for over two weeks up to now stating the property will be treated as abbandond etc. This notice was taken down last weekend. At this time the locks were changed

Today I went with my handyman to show him the required works. I was very surprised to find a letter from British Gas placed inside the house on a kitchen work surface. There is no physical damage done that I can see that they gained entry.The letter advised that on the 26th they entered the property to install a pay as you go meter. It also went on to say that the bill for this and their legal costs to enable access was nearly £300 plus the cost of the outstanding bills.
    I do not have an address of the tenant.

There is a phone number on the letter that I need to call as I would like this removed. Please advise how I stand regards this and how I shoud approach them. Thank you.

Originally posted by Woody View Post
    In short I have had a tenant do a runner and also done some damage. I have had a notice on the front door for over two weeks up to now stating the property will be treated as abbandond etc. This notice was taken down last weekend. At this time the locks were changed

Today I went with my handyman to show him the required works. I was very surprised to find a letter from British Gas placed inside the house on a kitchen work surface. There is no physical damage done that I can see that they gained entry.The letter advised that on the 26th they entered the property to install a pay as you go meter. It also went on to say that the bill for this and their legal costs to enable access was nearly £300 plus the cost of the outstanding bills.
    I do not have an address of the tenant.

There is a phone number on the letter that I need to call as I would like this removed. Please advise how I stand regards this and how I shoud approach them. Thank you.
    You can provide BG with a copy of the tenancy agreement and any other details that you have for your tenant. It is their responsibility to chase them up for the money.

They will not normally remove until the debt is settled, this has clearly been going on for sometime before they take this action - ask them to prove the notice sent through to the property - they are normally not in an envelope and posted by representatives of the company who attend to resolve the issue.

Do they have your contact details as owner of the property?

Comment

The tenant owes British Gas money.

When either you or the new tenant registers their details for utilities at the property they will reset the meter so that it doesn't take out money for arrears each week.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thanks for responses. The Tenants contract runs to 30th November. They lived at the property for about 2 and a half years. Originially the contract was jointly with husband and wife then when he moved out I did a new AST with the wife only. I have never had any communication from any utility company as they made arrangements to have services put in there names at outset and then when they split it appears as though the company was advise to to remove husband. With me going in to the property today I found a large amount of post and there are 3 letters from British Gas that I have not opened.
        I will easily be able to provide evidence of AST etc, and indeed assist British Gas to trace .
        When I let the property there was no pay as you meter and I want the one they have installed removed. Who should pay for this?

Comment

Assuming the account was in the name of the absconded tenant, then the arrears and costs associated with installing the PAYG meter are down to the tenant and not the next incoming tenant (or the landlord, if he now takes over the account).

It follows that there should be no problem in contacting BG to set up a new electric account, and at the same time simply request the PAYG meter is replaced with a credit meter. There should be no cost associated with this.

That's certainly my own experience, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
            When I let the property there was no pay as you meter and I want the one they have installed removed. Who should pay for this?
            Why do you want it removed without knowing if your new tenants want it there?

It hasn't cost you anything to put in, and will cost you nothing to keep.
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

It is more expensive and a pain to top up, unless the tenant type is likely to need one.

Prepare to argue with British Gas they will try to keep you on the hook. They had a contract with the former tenant not you , and you are not responsible for their respective dispute. You are credit worthy and therefore they must put in an account meter. That normally works!
              Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Many thanks for your comment which were most useful. I will call British Gas on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
                  It is more expensive and a pain to top up, unless the tenant type is likely to need one.
                  Do you have a source for this information?

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                    Do you have a source for this information?
                    Pre-pay meters are on a set tariff - such customers can not take advantage of the promotional 'deals' that most customers use.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                      Pre-pay meters are on a set tariff - such customers can not take advantage of the promotional 'deals' that most customers use.
                      I'm not sure that most customers that are supplied by BG are on promotional deals, do you have a source for this information?

I accept that they wouldn't be able to take of these deals that were prevalent a few years ago, but I can't remember any deals for BG(I have been a customer for 9 years) for quite some time.

A tenant can always change the meter once in residence if they so choose.

Comment

BG currently offer (on Electric)
                        • Energy Smart
                        • Standard
                        • Websaver 8
                        • Online Saver 2
                        • Future Energy Plus
                        The cheapest of these (websaver 8) charges 9.396p per kWh in my local area, Pre-pay meters charge 11.18.

We use around 4000kWh per year, so £375 versus £447.

Comment

I can't remember any deals for BG(I have been a customer for 9 years) for quite some time.
                          Why on earth are you still with them them, then?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                            Why on earth are you still with them them, then?!
                            You can't simply look at the tariff and decide which is cheaper.
                            I certainly wouldn't decide for a tenant what tariff they should be on.

Comment

You can't simply look at the tariff and decide which is cheaper.
                              ?
                              I certainly wouldn't decide for a tenant what tariff they should be on.
                              A credit meter offers the choice - a prepayment meter offers no choice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X