Has new L missed anything in this first letting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has new L missed anything in this first letting?

Hi,

I think I have been lucky and found some really nice tenants.
    They have paid deposit and first months rent well in advance and want to settle in the house with a look to really making it their home and their little boy in the local school etc.. poss 10 year tenants!!
    They are actually a local couple moving back to the area to be close to their family.
    Sounds too good to be true, I have had 2 good references for them as well.
    They move in on Saturday and so far I have
    Put their deposit on the DPS custodial sheme
    got certificates for gas and electric
    done inventory inc photos
    got 6mnth ast, carbon monoxide detector, deposit receipt form, tenant application, id checklist and references all filled in and signed
    have let all relevant authorities and utlities know new tenant in
    set up standing order for rent
    Have I missed anything? First time as a landlord so still learning sorry.
    I am just sorting out landlords insurance if anyone can advise any good insurers at all?

thanks

The link below is a good guide from Shelter, check that you,ve covered everything.

http://mobile.shelter.org.uk/get_adv...ing_a_landlord

Comment

Good to see you have protected the deposit - have you given the tenants the "prescribed information" about it?

Comment

What 'prescribed information' do they need? I have given the details of the scheme with a copy of our landlords ID and printout to show their deposit is paid in is that correct? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gracygrey View Post
          What 'prescribed information' do they need?
          The link below is from the DPS website.

http://www.depositprotection.com/Pub...AgentInfo.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            Good to see you have protected the deposit - have you given the tenants the "prescribed information" about it?
            I have not done this with either of my properties , obv the 14 days have passed long ago what should I do? I had assumed the DPS emailed the T with their own ID number relating to the deposit and that was all that was necessary, is it worth doing now and what problems could this cause for me for doing late/not at all? FYI I do believe the AST agreement mentions that I'll be protecting the deposit with the DPS and lists their phone number.

I suspect however that I'd only encounter problems if a 'savvy' T realised it had not been done, which to be honest I dont think either would, just because I dont think even agents I've used in the past have done this, I'm sure they just protect the deposit and thats it.

Comment

Have you got an energy performance certificate? you must have one by law and give the prospective tenant a copy

Comment

Hi, I have the EPC from when we purchased the property in October, we have shown it to the tenants and also shown them the certificate for the Cav wall insulation which we have had done since and they are happy.

Comment

Thanks for the info have just done the prescribed info from dps site thanks mrs mug

Comment

Originally posted by tubbs View Post
                    I have not done this with either of my properties , obv the 14 days have passed long ago what should I do? I had assumed the DPS emailed the T with their own ID number relating to the deposit and that was all that was necessary, is it worth doing now and what problems could this cause for me for doing late/not at all? FYI I do believe the AST agreement mentions that I'll be protecting the deposit with the DPS and lists their phone number.

I suspect however that I'd only encounter problems if a 'savvy' T realised it had not been done, which to be honest I dont think either would, just because I dont think even agents I've used in the past have done this, I'm sure they just protect the deposit and thats it.
                    Yes, you need to supply the tenant with this information -

Housing Act 2004 - s213
                    (5) A landlord who has received such a tenancy deposit must give the tenant and any relevant person such information relating to—
                    (a) the authorised scheme applying to the deposit,

(b) compliance by the landlord with the initial requirements of the scheme in relation to the deposit, and

(c) the operation of provisions of this Chapter in relation to the deposit,

And this from the DPS's site
                    Landlords/ Lettings Agents must ensure that they comply with The Housing (Tenancy Deposits) (Prescribed Information) Order 2007. The DPS cannot do this for Landlords, but have produced a Prescribed Information template for information purposes only.
                    You can use this document as a template but it is your responsibility to ensure that it is correctly completed and served on the Tenant(s) within fourteen days of receiving the Deposit. You must ensure that you give the Tenant(s) an opportunity to sign the Prescribed Information by way of confirmation that its contents are correct.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X