Possession order- can T surrender tenancy orally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possession order- can T surrender tenancy orally?

My tenant will receive the possession order today (issued on Monday 26 July). If he leaves at this stage does his communication of surrendering the tenancy/property to me have to be in writing or can it be face to face or over the phone?

I ask this because my brother is going over there early tomorrow morning and if he opens the door he will ask politely if he is going to move out and give the keys back. If he does then i want to make sure i can change the locks and not get into trouble (eg the tenant contacting the police and saying the conversation didn't happen).

Just to note that if the tenant is there then he is likely to hand over the keys as he is on bail with a court condition that he doesn't live or sleep at my property (which i think he is still doing) and i think he'd rather hand the keys back than the police be called for breach of bail (i've been told by the criminal liason officer that he woudl be rearrested and held on remand until his trial)

Any help greatly appreciated

If I were you, I would leave the property be until the court order expires, and even then not attempt to gain the property back without court bailiffs unless the tenant volunteers the keys.

A legally-aided vengeful ex-tenant could make a pretty good attempt at an illegal eviction case if he could show your actions as harassment.

Do you want the hassle or the possibility (however small) of a criminal record?

Comment

you are right. just frustrating as there is also a 5 week waiting list for the bailiffs so i will be waiting 7 weeks to get my property back that he isn't legally allowed to live in!

Two questions:

1) if he does verbally surrender the property over the next 14 days but leaves some of his stuff, what happens if i then change the locks, store the remaining belongings, and he then claims he didn't have that conversation with me and takes me to court? Do i need something in writing?

2) if i go there after 14 days and there are just a few belongings there but tv and clothes are gone, can i assume he has abondoned and change the locks or do i still need him to communicate that to me?

I'm saying this because this guy is a liar, a thief and very untrustworthy (he's on bail for threatening me with a bladed weapon)

Comment

1. I would definately get that in writing.
        2. In the real world - yes he has gone. However, if you haven't had his keys returned, I would place an abandonment notice on the property and information about where the tenant can get keys to the new locks.

Comment

Thanks so so much. Can i just check what an abondonment notice is? Is it an official document?

Comment

Interesting Article: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/legal/abandonment.htm

And another: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/blog/l...93-abandonment

And a template: http://www.easternlandlords.org.uk/d...T_NOTICE_1.pdf

Comment

thanks again. So if after the 14 days he looks like he has gone and there are either no belongings or jsut a few unimportant bits left behind then i can change the locks, store his stuff in the property, (because he has already changed them months ago), put an abandonment notice on the door aand put it on the market!!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
                by jpkeates
                It depends on your local market.
                Mine seems expect a fridge freezer and washing machine as an "unfurnished" property.

Blinds not curtains and it varies - usually whats been left behind (have had to add some blind safety hook things in the past).

Check ads for...
                18-09-2020, 13:48 PM
              • Part furnished
                by Chester Perry
                Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
              • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                by boletus
                What are your arrears and eviction % rates?
                18-09-2020, 13:41 PM
              • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
                Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
                18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
              • Reply to Guarantor agreements
                by AndrewDod
                I suppose the real questions is not "what tricks do I need to try to get around these potential massive risks"
                but rather
                a) "how much extra premium should I charge on rents to offset these massive risks" - 10%, 50% ?
                and
                b) What criteria does a potential...
                18-09-2020, 13:33 PM
              • Guarantor agreements
                by CHARLIEMAN
                Hi all,

I am asking a prospective tenant to provide a guarantor and was wondering how the deed should be dated with regards to the term of the tenancy. The tenancy will be a 6 month assured shorthold agreement but I would want the guarantor to continue to act for the duration of the periodic...
                16-09-2020, 14:22 PM
              • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                by flyingfreehold
                they tend to favour the tenant
                18-09-2020, 13:26 PM
              • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                by Maymiss
                I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
                03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
              • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                by Maymiss
                I am sad to say that after paying a lump sum to my landlord, they are now claiming the full amount of my deposit also. My deposit is held with DPS and I understand they are generally fair in their dealings, but after reading reviews online it appears they do not always review disputes thoroughly and...
                18-09-2020, 13:21 PM
              • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                by ChrisDennison
                Of course not because a s21 notice is a private notice so nobody will know how many are issued in the country each day, and this would only change if all s21 notices would need to be centrally lodged (I can’t see that happen and can’t see a good reason for it either).

18-09-2020, 13:07 PM
              Working...
              X