Need to evict but never registered deposit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to evict but never registered deposit!

One of my business partners has multiple bedsits and two of the tenants have not been paying their rent and now he wants to evict them.

Slight problem! He never registered the deposits and does not know if he can evict them under the normal notices either section 8 or 21.

He uses agents for all other props and they are registered but like a numpty he forgot to register all the ones what he self manages.

Does anyone know his options...

Tenant 1 moved in 11/02/10 on 6 month AST
    Tenant 2 movied in moved in 01/05/10 on 6 month AST

Can he register the deposits now?

I would appreciate your input.

Thankyou.

Originally posted by xdellax View Post

Can he register the deposits now?

I would appreciate your input.

Thankyou.
    He can register the deposits with DPS. He also has to send each tenant a copy of the prescribed information. Any S21 issued before that is done would be invalid.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Thanks for you quick reply jta! I appreciate it!

So if he registers the deposits tomorrow and gives a copy of the prescribed info immediately, can he then issue a section 21 / 8 notice the next day (obviously taking into account section 21 expiry rules)?

Also if he ends up taking to court for possession proceedings will he not get in trouble for not registering the deposit when he should have done or be told as he has not followed the rules in the first place he cannot evict them?

Comment

As long as he follows the rules, albeit late, he should be OK.
        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Thanks for you quick reply jta! I appreciate it!

So if he registers the deposits tomorrow and gives a copy of the prescribed info immediately, can he then issue a section 21 / 8 notice the next day (obviously taking into account section 21 expiry rules)?

Also if he ends up taking to court for possession proceedings will he not get in trouble for not registering the deposit when he should have done or be told as he has not followed the rules in the first place he cannot evict them?
          For an accelerated s21 there isn't usually a court hearing - he will just submit evidence with the N5B form that the deposit was protected before the s21 was served.

Comment

So if he registers the deposits tomorrow and gives a copy of the prescribed info immediately, can he then issue a section 21 / 8 notice the next day?
            In fact, L can use s.8 even if a protectable deposit is not protected; only s.21 (AST) is barred.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help. Friend has now registed deposits and going down S21 route for tenant 1 and s8 for tenant 2. Thanks!!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deposit not protected - when to take action?
                by artin
                I am a landlord. But not protecting a deposit is foolish and careless. I would go for it, I think you are entitled 1 to 3 times of the deposit so no body will go bankrupt, go for the max, can't see any excuse for not protecting a deposit. A landlord may forget to do something and a judge would be lenient...
                11-08-2022, 18:10 PM
              • Deposit not protected - when to take action?
                by security2
                Hi all,

I know there's plenty of info on what to do when deposits are not protected but I wonder what your advice would be in this particular situation?

A friend of mine took on a rental in London last year and has given notice to vacate for end of this month. It's through...
                11-08-2022, 17:12 PM
                by jpkeates
                I'd wait until the deposits been returned.
                Unless the agent makes some unreasonable demands, in which case I'd start then.

Your friend has six years from the deadline to protect the deposit to make a claim.

Even if the agent is acting on behalf of a landlord, it's possible...
                11-08-2022, 18:06 PM
              • Reply to Can I get rent paid direct to me?
                by NaomiB
                When you are my age, thirty one is enormously young!
                11-08-2022, 17:52 PM
              • Can I get rent paid direct to me?
                by NaomiB
                My tenant was supposed to have left yesterday but she hasn't so this morning I posted my N325-eng form with the £130 for the bailiffs.

I am expecting the court to take about three weeks to issue the warrant and four to six weeks for the bailiffs to come so about two months or so. She...
                11-08-2022, 12:46 PM
                by AndrewDod
                Is the agent the named landlord on the tenancy agreement. If so, go for it. If agent is agent for some other named landlord, you will be screwing someone who has already been screwed over by the agent, so would need a good (moral) reason to want to do that....
                11-08-2022, 17:45 PM
                by Hudson01
                31 !!! Is not young, she is acting like a 15 year old, at 19 i was at war in the South Atlantic, that was young, she sounds immature and delusional.

As said by others, forget all the updates with her and ensure you deal with her in a business like manner, she really is in for a big shock..........
                11-08-2022, 17:42 PM
              • Reply to Section 21 costs - who pays?
                by freddycd15
                Thank you all.

What I've understood from the replies and some searching from my side is that:

1) The court fee (£355) and a fixed fee (about £50-£80 depending on the nature of the case) are claimable only. I'm not sure if there are any others?

2) You would fill...
                11-08-2022, 17:31 PM
              • Section 21 costs - who pays?
                by freddycd15
                Hi all,

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm having difficulty finding an answer using the search function.

My tenant is currently on a statutory periodic tenancy.

I wanted to ask who pays for the costs involved a Section 21 possession claim. Fees such...
                11-08-2022, 14:57 PM
                by ash72
                Don't do it, don't give the T further information follow through with court action, the T will have free legal aid, plus the advice from the council to stay in the property until the T is physically removed by bailiffs. As I stated previously you should be maintaining a account statement on the payments...
                11-08-2022, 16:49 PM
              Working...
              X