Tenant won't take on utility bills in her name, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
    Utility companies like PAYG meters as they can ramp up the tariff to recover any arrears. Resist it if you can as you often pay a higher tariff anyway, even though you are paying in advance. They will usually put in a PAYG meter for free but there is a charge to remove it.

We are in a similar position at the moment as our last T left us with 2 months rent arrears, then we discovered he hadn't paid any utility bills at all since October. LA gave the utility companies my name for the bills from the day T left, and the power company has dumped £295 arrears on me. Currently fighting them to prevent Court order for forced entry to install a PAYG meter or cut us off! That reminds me, must give our LA their daily call to find out today's tale of woe!!!
    Thanks for the PAYG meter info.

Sorry to hear about your situation, always best to call utility co's periodically to check T's are settling bills.

Do a trace on him

Comment

Sparkie, I agree with the points you have made in 1-4 (2 posts back)

However, If the bills is in T2's name. Then say if T4 and T5 (your new tenants) come along and don't pay their share of the bills or leave debts behind, then who is liable?. Wont T2 get cheesed off that she is liable for all the utility bills?

Even if you have PAYG, you will have friction in the house....

Comment

Originally posted by rajeshk4u View Post
        However, If the bills is in T2's name. Then say if T4 and T5 (your new tenants) come along and don't pay their share of the bills or leave debts behind, then who is liable?. Wont T2 get cheesed off that she is liable for all the utility bills?
        Yes T2 will be liable (see my previous thread). And in fact this same tenant T2, who doesn't want bills in her name has refused to pay T1 for her share, she has not given T1 a reason, even though she has paid previous bills.

But its just T2. T3 paid up.

Its difficult which route to go, but I think this is still the best (bills in T's names) - and as suggested before, ideally ALL T's should be on the utility bills

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X