Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on non-protected deposit

Hi All

I find myself in a pickle partly of my own making and I would like advice on the best way forward please.

I originally let my house using a letting agent, who subsequently went bust. At this point, I took legal advice and found out that the LA did not put the deposit in a protection scheme as required. In fact I was completely unaware of this obligation and I had gone with an agent to ensure I did everything right. I was out of pocket by 2 months rent plus I had the liability for the non-protected deposit of another months rent.

At this point, my solicitor provided me with an AST agreement which became active. She advised me to protect the deposit even though I had not received this money myself and was out of pocket. For a number of reasons, I never got around to putting the deposit in a protection scheme.

The advice I need is what I should do about the deposit in view of the fact that I'd like to give notice to quit under section 21. Should I put it in a scheme now? Or is it too late? I am willing and able to return the deposit to my tenant but realise she could use the law against me, especially if she doesn't want to move out right now.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    K

You will need to protect the deposit before you can issue a S21. The S21 would be invalid if you did not. You can still do that if you use DPS.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

JTA is perfectly right, the alternative is to refund the deposit in full. Once there is no deposit held by the landlord, there is no possibility of a claim.

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you both for your quick replies.

I've started the process of protecting the deposit; just waiting for the bank transfer to complete.

I'd still like to know if there are any possible complications awaiting because the deposit wasn't protected within the 14 days stipulated by law.

K

Comment

It's very unlikely, after all the legislation is there to make sure the deposit is protected and you have done that now.
          I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

A recent High Court case - Draycott v Hannells Lettings - verified that 'late' protection with DPS wasn't a problem.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
              by OS7
              Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
              30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
            • MCOL & PCOL
              by OS7
              Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
              04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
            • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
              by AndrewDod
              Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
              29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
            • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
              by Bert1e
              Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
              28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
            • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
              by jpkeates
              There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
              That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
              29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
            • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
              by Mr. Sparkle
              About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

There...
              29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
            • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
              by theartfullodger
              No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.

But...

s8 not an issue

s21 see
              https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

- there's...
              29-11-2021, 17:50 PM
            Working...
            X