Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smashed window by tenant

Hi,

my tenant contacted me to inform me that the window on the front door smashed. It transpires that the tenant had all doors open in the house and this cause a vacuum which caused the door to slam thus breaking the glass.

Who is responsible for this? I would assume that as the window was safe when the tenant moved in (there is a protective film on the door and it was in good condition) that it would be their responsiblity. However it is clear that the tenant did not do this deliberately.

I do not want to get into a situation with the tenant so would appreciate some advice here.

Karl

Repair the damage and go halves on the cost with the tenant.

Comment

the tenant had all doors open in the house and this cause a vacuum which caused the door to slam thus breaking the glass.

Who is responsible for this

personally,unless tenant offered to pay all or part of cost to replace, i would tend to replace the glass, and say to the tenant to make sure , they dont have all doors open again,which may have caused it. as actually proving reasponsability could be difficult and cause a lot of bad feeling.
      Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

Comment

In my opinion, this is the tenant’s responsibility - solely and completely. However, I would deal with the situation in the following way:

If they are good tenants who pay in full and on time each month and keep the place in reasonable condition, I will arrange the repair and pay for it myself. I would write to the tenant to tell them this and also state that if any further damage is caused then I reserve the right to reclaim this particular cost from them in the future.

On the other hand, if they aren’t the best of tenants and you intend to evict at the end of the fixed term, then they should pay right now as the damage was their doing.

In any event, fix the damage yourself right now and keep up the standard and security of your property.

Comment

Is it "normal" for the glass to break because of the door slamming?

It is to be expected that a door would be slammed - accidentaly or by kids who aren't always careful - at least a couple of times in its "life" and I would have thought door manufacturers would use material that wouldn't break that easily. Not only for this but also for security reason (burglars...).

Comment

Thanks everybody for this.

I have been round today and the door looks like it has been kicked at the bottom. Like some of you said it may provde difficult to assign blame.

It looks like I may have to go 50/50 on this one.

If anybody else has further advice or experience to call on then I would be grateful.

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by karl1984
              the tenant had all doors open in the house and this cause a vacuum which caused the door to slam thus breaking the glass.
              Originally posted by karl1984
              I have been round today and the door looks like it has been kicked at the bottom. Like some of you said it may provde difficult to assign blame.

It looks like I may have to go 50/50 on this one.
              Karl
              now the second quote puts an different perpective to this if it was kicked in by the tenant then i would definitly make the tenant pay, if it was kicked in by someone else trying to gain entry without the tenants permission the police should be informed by the tenant.

Jennifer_M Is it "normal" for the glass to break because of the door slamming?

It is possible but glass should be reinforced safety glass in bottom of door or in any other low down side panes.
              Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

Comment

I would say definitely the tennants liability. It is clearly not "reasonable wear and tear". It may have been a genuine accident but that does not make it your responsibility.

M

Comment

If an EHO were called in they would tell the LL to repair it and then claim the monies frmo the tenant! .. I speak from experience! .. tenant had a bonfire in back yard.. well he burnt his old soaf! .. Flames reached the sky according to neighbours.. this melted the BRAND NEW uPVC and cracked the glass in the door.. EHO say we should fix it!
                  GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Was the door fitted with suitable glass of the correct thickness?

We took a reputable national double glazing company to County Court for installing various windows that leaked extremely badly (buckets!).

The consultant we engaged discovered that the firm had installed 4mm standard glass in one of the patio doors. This was unsafe - it was not the thicker safety glass that should have been provided.

I don't know how easy it would be to kick in reinforced/safety glass of the correct thickness.
                    Vic - wicked landlord
                    Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
                    Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by Worldlife
                      a reputable [...] double glazing company
                      Hmm - spot the oxymoron?!

Comment

oxymoron

Well this is an educational site, thanks to Ericthelobster, i have learnt a new word today.

An oxymoron (plural "oxymora" or "oxymorons") (noun) is a figure of speech that combines two normally contradictory terms (e.g. "deafening silence").

Comment

Oxymoron

The dumb beast bellows stupidly. Could it be an oxymoron - I thought they were nearly extinct
                          Vic - wicked landlord
                          Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
                          Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

oxymoron

How about:
                            • Military intelligence
                            • Government organization
                            • Rap music
                            • Bad sex
                            • Airline food

Comment

Eric I'm not sure that a list of different items makes a figure of speech.

Think you have to make a sentence including the conflicting points to make an oxymoron e.g.

Shorter longer sentences would reduce overcrowding in prisons.
                              Vic - wicked landlord

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X