Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancel a contract before it's started

Hi All

I currently rent a room in a shared house through a letting agency and the contract is due to end 31st August, in April the agency demanded we tell them whether we will be renewing the contracts or not. I wasn't happy to stay on in the current house, but the agency offered an alternative property to move into from the 1st September, I signed the contract with them. However I'm now moving away from the area completely due to work. I have informed the agency I do not wish to go ahead with the tenancy as of the 1st of September, but they are now saying I will owe them a months rent due to breaking the contract! Can they do this even though the contract hasn't even started yet?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Lauren

I suspect so, because although the tenancy hasn't started, the contract has been running since you signed it.

Comment

It's logical. T would be somewhat peeved if it were L who pulled the plug before the tenancy began. Once there's a contract in existence (offer/acceptance/intention to create legal relationship), both parties are bound even if the contract creates a tenancy that begins later.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X