Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Heating Being restricted - advice please

Hello,

I've been having an issue with my letting agent and have just stumbled on this excellent site. My main question is: does the landlord have the right to restrict the times heating is available in the flat by putting it on a timer?

I called my letting agent because my flat was cold and the radiators weren't working. I was originally told the boiler had been put onto a timer because it is the summer. My flat has been cold again during the last couple of days, and there has been no heating available when I wanted to turn the radiators on. I phoned again today, and was advised that the boiler settings will be changed so that it is timed to come on for longer periods.

I know it's summer but I am not really happy with this situation as I feel I should be able to control when I want heating in my flat. Each radiator in the flat (and presumably in the other flats in the building) can be controlled individually so can be turned off when not needed to avoid wasting fuel. I don't want to have to keep phoning the letting agent ever time there's a cold snap!

I am being charged a set rate for gas per month (separate from my rent), and there was no mention before I moved into the flat that my heating would be restricted at any time. There is also no mention of this in my contract. If I realised this was the deal in renting a property that includes set gas and electricity charges then I may have thought twice about choosing this property. I am a tenant on an assured shorthold tenancy. I live in a self-contained flat within a converted house. There is one shared boiler.

I've looked up s.11 of the LTA (1985) and HHSRS but am still unsure who is in the right here? I feel a bit conned by paying a premium for all-inclusive (with the gas charge being in excess of what I could reasonably use anyway).

Thanks very much for any input.

I would write to the letting agent and pose the questions you have asked here to them, and insist on a written response.

They will be more careful in what is written down, as telephone calls can be "misheard".
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I have phoned them twice - the staff are extremely unhelpful (bordering on rude).

I sent an e-mail to the manager covering the issues detailed in my original post. She just replied that they will change the boiler timer (ignoring most of my comments).

I'm not really happy with this and would like the boiler to be on constant, and for tenants to use the thermostats on our radiators to decide when we want to use heating (especially as I'm paying a large fixed fee for my gas, directly to the letting agent).

I know it's summer and I'm unlikely to use heating most of the time, but I think I should be able to control the temperature of my flat.

I'm trying to find out from this forum whether I am justified in persuing this complaint or if I should just accept it, and avoid 'all-inclusive' deals in the future.

Any other comments or opinions welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Tnanet View Post
        Thanks for your reply.

I have phoned them twice - the staff are extremely unhelpful (bordering on rude).

I sent an e-mail to the manager covering the issues detailed in my original post. She just replied that they will change the boiler timer (ignoring most of my comments).

I'm not really happy with this and would like the boiler to be on constant, and for tenants to use the thermostats on our radiators to decide when we want to use heating (especially as I'm paying a large fixed fee for my gas, directly to the letting agent).

I know it's summer and I'm unlikely to use heating most of the time, but I think I should be able to control the temperature of my flat.

I'm trying to find out from this forum whether I am justified in persuing this complaint or if I should just accept it, and avoid 'all-inclusive' deals in the future.

Any other comments or opinions welcome!
        Write them, not e-mail.
        Number your questions.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

You will get a definitive answer from your local Environmental Health Officer - you can get their number by phoning the councils main switchboard.

If you are in the right, then either they or the councils "Private Tenancy" officer will be able to help / advise.

Comment

Thank you both for your helpful comments.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
              by Moderator2
              Hooper,

Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
              1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
              18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
            • Tenant references are a joke.
              by Hooper
              I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

I got two replies two days apart.

The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
              17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
            • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
              by jpkeates
              The underlay is the key.
              At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
              18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
            • Typical lifetime of carpets
              by davett
              I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
              17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
              by jpucng62
              Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
              18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
            • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
              by jpkeates
              There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
              The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
              If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
              18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
            • MCOL & PCOL
              by OS7
              Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
              04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
              by AndrewDod
              Most of my carpets in my own home (good quality) are 15+ years old and still, with care, look perfect.

Asking carpet people how often you need to replace your carpet is like asking a damp proofing installer whether you need damp proofing....
              18-09-2021, 13:16 PM
              by Hooper
              Yes - both references received 2 days apart from the dedicated referencing department of a national group of letting agents....
              18-09-2021, 12:14 PM
              by Hooper
              With respect, the editing has changed the nature of my posts and title and it is not entirely clear to a reader what has and has not been edited. I am not happy with the posts or title as edited being attributed to me. I think the response a couple of posts up demonstrates that the edits have made it...
              18-09-2021, 12:10 PM
            Working...
            X