Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairs

Hi
    Wonder if anyone can give me some advice please?

I am currently 9 months into a 12 month tenancy. the first week the tenancy started there was a problem with the drains, backfilled sewage into the sinks, bath, shower. I spoke to the landlord and sent someone round and said it had been fixed. However the same thing happened and they sent round a drainage company who took pictures of the drains. Pictures showed the drains were smashed and blocked.

We are still waiting for this to be repaired. We have sent lots of emails, made lots of phonecalls to the landlord who kept telling us they were waiting to arrange to get workmen out to fix it. We sent an email to the landlord asking again when the drains would be fixed and that we would need to seek legal advice, he replied by saying "for what, a smashed drain. You have sanition and heat." We again stayed patient as we didnt want to cause any problems. However it has come to the point where we have contacted environmental health. I have been worried all along that he wouldnt be renewing our contract when it is up. if he doesnt on these grounds can he legally do that? We are good tenants, we look after the property, rent is paid on time.

Thanks for reading, any advice would be appreciated.

If the drain is smashed then in theory you don't have sanitation.

Most landlords just want you to pay the rent. Since you are doing that I can see no reason why he should not renew your contract.

Underground drain work is expensive and does not exactly give the property more kerb appeal which is probably why he is not getting the work done.

Get environmental health in and see what they say. They can make him do the repair if it necessary. Why you want to stay with such a rubbish landlord beats me?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Also tell L about inescapable duties under s.11 of LTA 1985 (inc. drainage).
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X