Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit

Hello

Sorry if this has been covered before but I'm new to the site and I couldn't see anything similiar.

I am about to end an assured shorthold tenancy via a national letting agent. This ends on the 29th July and they have arranged for new tenants to move in on the 31st July (obviously giving no time to repairs/changes for the flat!).

My problem is that the letting agent are insisting that I hand over the keys at exactly 2.15pm on the 29th July. They will then inspect the flat, making notes on the inventory, and if I am not there they say I cannot contest any comments or resolve any problems should they arise.

Is this legal? My main concern is that should they say work needs to be done (i.e. say the cooker wasn't cleaned to their standards) do they have to give me time to rectify the problem or do I have to accept that the money will be taken off my deposit?

Just to say that I am a very tidy tenant and intend to spend a whole day getting the flat sparkly clean. I have had numerous problems with the letting agent since day one so fully expect them to try and get money out of me somehow!

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Originally posted by FuzzyBee View Post
    Hello

Sorry if this has been covered before but I'm new to the site and I couldn't see anything similiar.

I am about to end an assured shorthold tenancy via a national letting agent. This ends on the 29th July and they have arranged for new tenants to move in on the 31st July (obviously giving no time to repairs/changes for the flat!).

My problem is that the letting agent are insisting that I hand over the keys at exactly 2.15pm on the 29th July. They will then inspect the flat, making notes on the inventory, and if I am not there they say I cannot contest any comments or resolve any problems should they arise. if your last day is the 29th then you have the right to have the keys up until midnight on this day - normal practice is to return them to the agent by 0900 hours the following day. If your deposit is registered under a scheme then your LA has a legal obligation to inform you in writing of any dilapidations within 10 days of the end of your tenancy including costs. They cannot make deductions without your permission.

Is this legal? My main concern is that should they say work needs to be done (i.e. say the cooker wasn't cleaned to their standards) do they have to give me time to rectify the problem or do I have to accept that the money will be taken off my deposit? they have no obligation to allow you time to rectify any matters. If you have a Schedule of Condition from when you moved in try to ensure the property is handed back in the same or better condition and you should be fine

Just to say that I am a very tidy tenant and intend to spend a whole day getting the flat sparkly clean. I have had numerous problems with the letting agent since day one so fully expect them to try and get money out of me somehow!

Many thanks for any advice you can give.
    Hope everything works out for you.

Comment

Poppy, do you know what a T can actually do if the LL fails to return the deposit or communicate their intention to dispute it within 10 days? Is it actually an offence, or what?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

um, I know on the other side of the coin that if a L wants to withhold monies from the tenants deposit and the tenant does not reply we have to wait 6 months to file a claim for the monies. After 6 months then the monies due can be paid to the landlord. This is under TDS rules.

If the tenant does not receive communications in the allotted timescale then the TDS generally make a ruling in the tenants favour regardless of the situation, as effectively the Landlord has not abided by TDS rules.

This is only from information I have been given and not from experience. I have only dealt with the issue of the tenant not replying which is a real pain as the L has to wait for their monies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X