Deposit not protected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit not protected

I am writing a letter to the LL to give formal notice that if I do not receive information about where the deposit is protected and the ID number I shall begin a claim for x3 of original amount. How long do I have to give for the information. I gave asked 3 times already in the past week - the schemes have no record of it.

Originally posted by charakadisney View Post
    I am writing a letter to the LL to give formal notice that if I do not receive information about where the deposit is protected and the ID number I shall begin a claim for x3 of original amount. How long do I have to give for the information. I gave asked 3 times already in the past week - the schemes have no record of it.
    I would give them five working days to supply you with details of the scheme in which your deposit is registered, and the account number. This gives them time to protect it if they haven't already. It is usually the scheme itself which will contact you with your secure tenant ID.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

can the L still protect it even though the tenancy has ended?

Comment

At the time of writing, the landlord can late protect with the DPS, but not either of the other schemes. If you read Draycott v Hannells Lettings Ltd, you will find more info.

Comment

but if LL protects after you have issued a claim that is too late to avoid a penalty
          PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

. I have given a letter to my landlord saying that if I do not gain notification of deposit scheme within 5 working days, I shall begin a claim for the deposit plus any compensation - x3 original amount.

However my issue is that in five working I shall be on holiday. What do you recommend I do, leave it until after I return - meaning more than 5days notice, do it a day early or pass on details to a relative (in which case how much infomation would they need in order to start a claim)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Gibbs View Post
              but if LL protects after you have issued a claim that is too late to avoid a penalty
              Is that right Paul? As I understand it, the court has to order that the deposit is refunded or protected AND pay the 3x. If the deposit has been refunded/protected before the hearing then it can't order the protection/refund, so can not order the 3x. My understanding is that a landlord would be liable for the tenants legal costs up to protection date.

Originally posted by charakadisney View Post
              . I have given a letter to my landlord saying that if I do not gain notification of deposit scheme within 5 working days, I shall begin a claim for the deposit plus any compensation - x3 original amount.)
              Don't forget that this can not be done through the small claims track - you really should have some legal representation.

You could fill in the relevant forms in advance and leave them for a relative to post maybe? You would not be able to do it online.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                by theartfullodger
                Tenants. Moving back in won't change that.

How many occupants do you have please?
                06-12-2021, 22:53 PM
              • Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                by Livingonaprayer
                Hi all.
                I bought a house, lived in it for a few months, then had friends ask me if they could move in as had to leave their property and were struggling to find somewhere with their dog. I agreed and drew up lodging agreement and they moved in.
                Unfortunately our dogs did not get on, and...
                06-12-2021, 20:46 PM
              • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                by AndrewDod
                If that were so straightforwardly the case then I would easily be able to a secure a tenancy for my friend's daughter (D) who has zero credit rating, and zero ability to pay rent.

I would take a 6M tenancy myself, immediately grant a 4 year tenancy at quarter my original rent to D, let...
                06-12-2021, 21:53 PM
              • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                by Bert1e
                Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
              • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                by alice123
                I'm sorry you are in this situation , from what i have heard from someone these 'no win no fee' type of 'solicitors' take a massive chunk out of any claim for their own fees , which would leave your tenant with rather less money that he/she would have anticipated.

One of the reasons why...
                06-12-2021, 21:13 PM
              • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                by llplug
                I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
                19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
              • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                by KTC
                The term lawful here applies to private landlord. It's a term that does not just exist within the Housing Act 1988, but also Rent Act 1977, and probably other places. In this context, it basically means as the Shelter page summarised, did the mesne tenant have permission to sublet. That section of the...
                06-12-2021, 21:11 PM
              • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                by Hudson01
                This is a good point..... also, not wishing to tempt fate, but with the increase in Covid type restrictions is it beyond thinking that we may have another xmas ban on evictions ???? I do not believe it is needed but you know what the lefties are like....
                06-12-2021, 21:01 PM
              • Accelerated possession order
                by Pariah81
                A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
                05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
              • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                by L4NDLORD
                this is not a great time to try to get possession, I would recommend that you tolerate them a bit longer. The Judge is not going to be sympathetic and besides these cases are going to take a long time to come to Court.
                06-12-2021, 20:55 PM
              Working...
              X