How much is the Rent/Water/Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is the Rent/Water/Gas

How much is the Electricity/Water/Gas monthly bill of a 2 bed flat on average?

Thank you

Originally posted by ineedhelp View Post
    How much is the Electricity/Water/Gas monthly bill of a 2 bed flat on average?

Thank you
    It is impossible for us to give you a sensible estimate for the water rates/bill without knowing where the flat is.

The Energy Performance Certificate for the property will tell you approximately what the energy bills should be, based on standard usage. Did you ask to see it before you accepted the tenancy? If not, go back to the LL or agent and ask to see it now.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      It is impossible for us to give you a sensible estimate for the water rates/bill without knowing where the flat is.

The Energy Performance Certificate for the property will tell you approximately what the energy bills should be, based on standard usage. Did you ask to see it before you accepted the tenancy? If not, go back to the LL or agent and ask to see it now.
      What is the EPC? The flat is in Walsall West Midlands.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by ineedhelp View Post
        What is the EPC? The flat is in Walsall West Midlands.

Thank you
        The Energy Performance Certificate, which shows how energy efficient the property is compared with others of a similar type and size. It's a bit like the A-G rating you et on white goods. The higher the % rating, the better. Over 65% is good; under 40% is not good. It is a legal requirement for virtually every rental property. Ask your landlord to show you it.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Ring around a few suppliers, they should be able to give you a rough idea of the averages, it's how they calculate bills when the meter hasn't been read.
          Last edited by remyrobson; 19-07-2010, 20:27 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

I was there when the EPC was carried out on my Victorian conversion flat. Flats, particularly conversions, are ALWAYS marked DOWN on the EPC. This is an instruction from those who train these people. I was somewhat annoyed since this is an arbitrary decision not based on fact.

As a result, I consider the EPC to be a load of rubbish and not worth the paper it is written on.

My monthly DD for electricity (no gas in the property) was £41 pcm which I thought very reasonable for an all-electric property which is cool in summer and cosy in winter. And I cook a lot - so use the oven and hob - and used the washer/dryer which does use more electricity than a normal tumble dryer.
            Mrs Jones
            I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Jones View Post
              I was there when the EPC was carried out on my Victorian conversion flat. Flats, particularly conversions, are ALWAYS marked DOWN on the EPC. This is an instruction from those who train these people. I was somewhat annoyed since this is an arbitrary decision not based on fact.

As a result, I consider the EPC to be a load of rubbish and not worth the paper it is written on.
              What exactly do you mean by 'marked down'? It doesn't seemt to make much sense. There is an objective formula for working out the energy efficiency of any home and the results it produces should not be manipulated or massaged - sounds as though you got a duff DEA there. How much did he charge?

Comment

I don't know about being "marked down" but i let a vicorian tenement and there are just some energy saving measures which are not achievable. For example cavity wall insulation. Also depending on the area double glazing can be difficult (due to sash windows) and in conservation areas traditional wooden windows rather than UPV must remain. In my flat the hot water thermostat has to be set very high as the water tank is so small you would be bathing in cold or very shallow bath water if it was set lower.

I think maybe that is the type of problem faced.

Im not really that fussed about the EPC rating to be honest as i don't think most tenants - epecially groups of students pay much attention to it. Also the advantage to the tenement is that everyone is in the same boat insulation wise so the people each side and above and below keep you warm ...like a group of penguins in the arctic.....or is that the antarctic?

Comment

Neither. Penguins are usually amongst the biscuits or confectionary.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X