Ending a Lodger License early due to lodger breaking terms of contract.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ending a Lodger License early due to lodger breaking terms of contract.

Hey there,

I have a lodger living with me at the moment and they have broken terms of the agreement on four separate occasions. Firstly on the first rent payment which was two weeks late, they did not pay the full amount which I had to keep asking for and secondly in my lodger agreement it states that they have to ask me the landlord permission before letting anyone stay over the night and which they have let someone stay on three separate occasions without even notifying me let alone asking my permission.

I have looked up and it would seem that I can terminate their contract with less than the notice agreed on the contract as the have violated terms of the contract. Is this correct?

Any help would be great!

I will be giving 28 days notice to leave which is less that the notice on the agreement but due to his violation of terms 28 days notice is fair no?

Also the person who stays, stays in the house when he is not here, they are here all day and they dont live here which is making me uncomfortable in my own house.
    Last edited by Tiggsy; 19-07-2010, 11:47 AM. Reason: Additional Infomation

You have to give them "Reasonable notice".
    In real terms, I would give 7 days and then change the locks when they leave the house.

What notice did you put? If more than 28 days, you are being extremely lenient.
    I would put "28 days" as a maximum.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

It was a long term agreement for which 6 months notice was to be given but as he has broken the terms on more than once occasion i believe it to invalidate the agreement right? So giving 28 days which is classed as fair notice is acceptable?

Comment

Six months notice!

Are you Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddd?

Just give them 28 days, and let them argue otherwise.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Mad indeed! thanks for the help!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
            by Hudson01
            I can see it is a complicated arrangement but as JKO says, this is your home, if you are not happy where you are then move, why try and go down the route of conflict when all it will end up with is your eventual eviction, which i am sure will come not of your choosing and as sods law often dictates...
            28-11-2021, 12:39 PM
          • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
            by Bert1e
            Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
            28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
          • Reply to Curtain poles in windows
            by scampicat
            My flat already had curtains when I bought it, so I left them in. Then my very obliging first tenant installed vertical blinds all round, which he left when he went to say at Her Majesty's Prison . I have left them in for all other tenants since.

In response to the OP, I would put...
            28-11-2021, 12:37 PM
          • Curtain poles in windows
            by Kate foster
            Hi all. Wonder if you can advise. I gave a fully unfurnished property to a tenant and they were aware of it. Now they have moved in, they have asked if I can get all poles bought and fitted in the rooms for curtains. It will be added cost for me to buy 6 poles and fitting cost ect. What is best way...
            27-11-2021, 07:15 AM
          • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
            by JK0
            Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? She's not kicked you out. If you don't like your housemate, move, surely?

I wouldn't be laying the law down to Sarah, as I suspect you may still be a lodger.
            28-11-2021, 12:22 PM
          • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
            by bob369
            Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
            24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
          • Reply to Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
            by Jon66
            Blankets, hot water bottles, sweaters, uggs indoors, heated blankets, sausages along the bottom of doors, heavy curtains at the windows and doors, plastic rolls of draught excluder fitted everywhere there is a leak. Curtains can be bought cheaply in charity shops and are very effective. Can tell I lived...
            27-11-2021, 23:09 PM
          • Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
            by Canning18
            Hi folks,

I’ve been renting a flat through a housing association for a few years now but find my flat to be insanely freezing during the winter (it never bothered me too much before Covid as I was away with work a lot). Last year was the first year I was around all winter and I’ve ended...
            26-11-2021, 10:44 AM
          • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
            by KTC
            Well, it is too late for no penalty but you knew that already. Like theartfullodger said, make a offer to settle. I'll make it a formal Part 36 offer to avoid any argument. The +£1 is unnecssary, if you made the offer, they need to beat it. It is highly unlikely for a court to award the maximum 3x...
            27-11-2021, 22:52 PM
          • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
            by llplug
            I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
            19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
          Working...
          X