AST letting expiry- what happens when term ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST letting expiry- what happens when term ends?

My tenant is about to go over the standard 6 month tenantcy agreement.

i have read somewhere that once they go over this, and dont sign another it reverts to a 12 month agreement.

is there anywhere in writing this will be online, or will it be in the initial agreement.

as its now as 12 month agreement, do they still need to give me 1 months notice, or are they now tied into the full 12 months.

i ask, as they are £30 down on last months rent, and if they fail to catch it up with the next payment through the letting agent, this might be a sign of them looking to move on etc.

They were due to pay £450 to the agent, they paid £420.

Not sure where you have read that but anyway

On an ast if neither party do not renew the contract it reverts to a statutory periodic tenancy (rolling contract) where by you are both held to the conditions of the contract but the tenant can serve you 1 months notice and you can give them 2 months notice (on or before the date the rent is due for monthly tenancies). So this can continue until they leave or serve notice.

Ask your agent what the tenants intend to do

Comment

Originally posted by Chicco View Post
      My tenant is about to go over the standard 6 month tenantcy agreement.

i have read somewhere that once they go over this, and dont sign another it reverts to a 12 month agreement.
      Post #2 is correct; but are you sure for how long you initially let the premises? Does the Letting Agreement state 'six months' or 'twelve months'?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X