How to make L's Agent release T's deposit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please post back and let us know what happens.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I will be sure to do so.

Thanks so much for the prompt and much needed advice!

I guess I'm just a bit nervous about heading to a dispute and losing - I'll be mightily embarrassed by the whole thing!

I guess I'm just going to have to hope that this non-existent inventories form goes in my favour. My concern is losing due to the house being newly finished prior to our move in and the possibility for them to have decoration receipts to prove so.

Thanks again! :-)

Comment

given that they havent got any of the information they need to make a legimate claim (even with a receipt for the "new carpet" they cant prove that it happened after you moved in ie carpet fitter could have had a sneaky ciggy or left his glue gun on the carpet) I dont think it will take them too long to come up with a decision

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Sedgwick65 View Post

I guess I'm just a bit nervous about heading to a dispute and losing - I'll be mightily embarrassed by the whole thing!
          No need. It's not like being put in the village stocks or anything. You won't even need to appear before a hearing or anything - you just submit your claim ('I claim my deposit back in full and I dispute any claim my LL makes for damages') and LL submits his, plus evidence if he has any - which he hasn't - (the onus is on him to prove you caused any damage) and the arbitrator decides.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Ha! that's what we said too - i've already said that no-one smoked in that room and that it was used for storage.

I think that it shows negligence on their behalf that i have repeatedly asked for a breakdown of costs, inventories and for photographs of before we moved in and after we moved out. If they miraculously come up with these to send to the DPS, will they still count even if we have never seen or been issued them?

Comment

Ha! that's what we said too - i've already said that no-one smoked in that room and that it was used for storage.

I think that it shows negligence on their behalf that i have repeatedly asked for a breakdown of costs, inventories and for photographs of before we moved in and after we moved out. If they miraculously come up with these to send to the DPS, will they still count even if we have never seen or been issued them?
              He cannot fabricate a check-in inventory agreed and signed by you, can he? Anything else is pretty worthless as 'evidence' of the state of the place when you moved in, really.

Make sure you say that there was none, in your submission, and include printouts of all emails.

Comment

Sorry to rake this all up again, but I'm in need of some further reassurance.

My situation is still ongoing, the agency appear to be stalling for time, but now they have recruited their 'Regulatory Affairs and Procedures Manager' who is apparently going to e-mail me as I have asked for the decided figure for dispute so i can notify the DPS and get it underway. I'm not quite sure of what he is likely to say on the matter.

As i have mentioned, we don't and never had an inventory, but as we were the first tenants into a newly renovated and decorated house, where does this leave us in terms of winning the dispute? What I'm getting at, is how much will invoices and receipts for the work prior to our move in and photographs of before and after count?

Thanks....

Comment

What I'm getting at, is how much will invoices and receipts for the work prior to our move in and photographs of before and after count?
                  Difficult to predict, but almost certainly less than a properly conducted and agreed inventory.

Comment

Hmmm....

They still haven't been able to produce a broken down list of costs or any photographs that I have asked to see.

It's been going on for so long now that I just want an end to it, but I really don't want to be ripped off. They still seem hesitant to allow me to push the dispute to the DPS which makes me think they have a weak case.

I just don't want to enter into something without fully knowing what my chances of success are.

Comment

Hmmm....

They still haven't been able to produce a broken down list of costs or any photographs that I have asked to see.

It's been going on for so long now that I just want an end to it, but I really don't want to be ripped off. They still seem hesitant to allow me to push the dispute to the DPS which makes me think they have a weak case.

I just don't want to enter into something without fully knowing what my chances of success are.
                      But it seems to me you have very little to lose and everything to gain. Your deposit, for a start! The the dispute resolution service is free, after all.

What alternative did you have in mind?

Comment

The plot thickens....

Hi there,

today I have received an e-mail from the 'regulatory and affairs manager' at my agency. It seems his attempt was to put me off the idea of raising a dispute, and has suggested we settle on £350. Not going to happen.

Futhermore, he has suggested that the agency take this to the small claims court, as opposed to the DPS arbitration service. I think it's because he knows they can't win it.

Can this be done, that it goes straight to small claims. I want to use the DPS as it's free and (fairly) anonymous.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                          by Hudson01
                          I can see it is a complicated arrangement but as JKO says, this is your home, if you are not happy where you are then move, why try and go down the route of conflict when all it will end up with is your eventual eviction, which i am sure will come not of your choosing and as sods law often dictates...
                          28-11-2021, 12:39 PM
                        • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                          by Bert1e
                          Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                          28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                        • Reply to Curtain poles in windows
                          by scampicat
                          My flat already had curtains when I bought it, so I left them in. Then my very obliging first tenant installed vertical blinds all round, which he left when he went to say at Her Majesty's Prison . I have left them in for all other tenants since.

In response to the OP, I would put...
                          28-11-2021, 12:37 PM
                        • Curtain poles in windows
                          by Kate foster
                          Hi all. Wonder if you can advise. I gave a fully unfurnished property to a tenant and they were aware of it. Now they have moved in, they have asked if I can get all poles bought and fitted in the rooms for curtains. It will be added cost for me to buy 6 poles and fitting cost ect. What is best way...
                          27-11-2021, 07:15 AM
                        • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                          by JK0
                          Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? She's not kicked you out. If you don't like your housemate, move, surely?

I wouldn't be laying the law down to Sarah, as I suspect you may still be a lodger.
                          28-11-2021, 12:22 PM
                        • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                          by bob369
                          Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
                          24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
                        • Reply to Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
                          by Jon66
                          Blankets, hot water bottles, sweaters, uggs indoors, heated blankets, sausages along the bottom of doors, heavy curtains at the windows and doors, plastic rolls of draught excluder fitted everywhere there is a leak. Curtains can be bought cheaply in charity shops and are very effective. Can tell I lived...
                          27-11-2021, 23:09 PM
                        • Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
                          by Canning18
                          Hi folks,

I’ve been renting a flat through a housing association for a few years now but find my flat to be insanely freezing during the winter (it never bothered me too much before Covid as I was away with work a lot). Last year was the first year I was around all winter and I’ve ended...
                          26-11-2021, 10:44 AM
                        • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                          by KTC
                          Well, it is too late for no penalty but you knew that already. Like theartfullodger said, make a offer to settle. I'll make it a formal Part 36 offer to avoid any argument. The +£1 is unnecssary, if you made the offer, they need to beat it. It is highly unlikely for a court to award the maximum 3x...
                          27-11-2021, 22:52 PM
                        • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                          by llplug
                          I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
                          19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
                        Working...
                        X