Homelet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homelet

Long time no post chaps. I managed to evict my tenants back in March thanks to all the help here and had then decided I couldn't face renting the property and put it up for sale. Due to a total lack of interest I am now venturing back into the rental market, with another agent, who apparently use a firm called Homelet who carry out checks and cover any non-payment of rent. Has anyone had any experience with this firm? Apparently they have just refused a couple who wanted to rent my home, the agent says its because they couldn't provide a Guarantor but I am sure I have read somewhere that Homelet only insist on a Guarantor if there are problems with references or checks.

Any advice would be appreciated. Would it be worth looking to take out Landlord insurance myself with a suitable firm.

Thanks.

Are you looking to get insurance yourself because you want these tenants?

Comment

Homelet request guarantors if there are problems with reference or checks, or if the tenant is on a fairly low income or gets rental top-up from benefits/tax credits etc. It may be worth asking exactly why they required a guarantor in Homelet's eyes. Homelet's refusal is a refusal for the LL to be able to take out their rent guarantee insurance on the tenants. It does not mean you, the landlord, cannot still accept them (though obviously homelet will have reasons for their refusal). The agent may provide rent guarantee insurance automatically for you which means they cannot offer it to you on these tenants. We had a case where a single mum, who, due to an ex partner had a CCJ and poor credit but she had two jobs and tax credits and provided a very wealthy guarantor. Homelet wouldn't touch her with a barge pole but then homelet didn't meet her and see that she was a hard working individual working hard to get herself out of a hole (she did pull on the heart strings a bit). and the landlord accepted her. OF COURSE I should point out this was one refusal out of many which homelet refuse, usually for very good reason. You should be given the chance to decide yourself if homelet refuse however you must be prepared for risks if you allow a tenant who has been refused by homelet to take up a tenancy. (which by the sounds of your post you're not really up for taking risks at this time).

Homelet do offer, along with their referencing services, a large range of insurances for both landlords and tenants. If you quote the scheme number of the agent you may get some discounts from them.

Comment

Homelet

Unfortunately after the last bad experience I don't want to take any chances. There is apparently another couple viewing the property today and to be truthful if their checks come back clear I would rather go with them.

My question about the additional insurance is purely for peace of mind - once bitten as they say. I thought my last agent had carried out the correct checks and when it all fell apart that is when I found out they hadn't really queried anomolies on their applications - one of the tenants appeared to be living at 3 different addresses at the same time! They tried the old line about they couldn't let me see the paperwork for data protection purposes, when really it was to cover up the poor references received.

Comment

Ask for the reference approval form from the letting agent, it'll show that they've passed Homelet's reference checks. I do this for all landlords to give them added peace of mind. I've never had to use the rent warranty cover, but have taken it out for a few of my landlords on request. Just check what their exclusions are and what the excess is.

There's simply no excuse for an agent to to vet tenants thoroughly so make sure you see evidence that they've passed first, it'll be you who loses out otherwise!
          <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

I have just joined a new scheme for my referencing yesterday and was told that the tenant signs to say you can disclose their details to third parties to decide on the tenancy ...... he was sure that this included the LL - however he said you cant tell them verbally but they can read the referencing I havent looked into the legal side of this yet though......

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X