Another carpet query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another carpet query

We are moving out pretty soon and wondered if we could have some advice.

When we moved into the property the carpets were all the same throughout and were in a new build type property, so were clearly what the developer had put down, and have to say were not of that high quality. There were also indents on the carpet where furniture had clearly been put.

When we moved into the property the carpets were 4 years old and we will have been renting the property for 8 years when we leave so they will be 12 years old.

We have cats (by permission) and they have damaged some bits on the stairs which the inspector noticed at the last inspection.

They have said that they expect a carpet to last between 5-10 years depending on the quality.

We are not denying that the cats have not done the damage (as they have) but we're just wondering how much (if any) we will have to contribute to the cost of a replacement?

We have been told that after 5 years the landlord is expected to pay for the cost of the redecoration of the property (which we are assuming means re-carpeting also). Even if there was no damage caused by our cats even if it was professionally cleaned I cannot see how it could be rented out due to purely us walking over them during the 8 year period.

I know there was somewhere on this forum a formula on how much a tenant is liable for in a % but I just cannot find it.

Any advice would be helpful.

On what you describe the carpets are pretty well valueless but as the cats did do some damage it would appropriate of you to offer to make a contribution even if not fromally enforcable.

I would certainly not expect to replace carpets at the same frequency as redecorating.

Comment

Fletchj

How much would you say is a reasonable offer? Our deposit was £475

I know the agency/landlord would probably like us to agree everything without having to go down the TDS route if we disagreed (as I'm sure that's just a lot of hassle for everyone)

Comment

Would it be worth having a discussion with your landlord to see if you can reach agreement? My letting agents are always coming up with things to fine my tenants for, but I usually over-rule them.
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post
          Would it be worth having a discussion with your landlord to see if you can reach agreement? My letting agents are always coming up with things to fine my tenants for, but I usually over-rule them.
          Which begs the question of why you bother using a letting agent at all, when you have to spend your time in damage limitation.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

10 years is a long time for the lifespan of a carpet unless it is very high quality and the owner can prove cost. In a rented property its more likely 5 years in which case the owner cannot reasonably expect you pay more than 20% of the cost of the replacment but this is an absolute maximum. As an agent I would be telling the landlord that the carpets are old and need replacing and a small contribution only required from you, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by crunchiej View Post
              Fletchj

How much would you say is a reasonable offer? Our deposit was £475

I know the agency/landlord would probably like us to agree everything without having to go down the TDS route if we disagreed (as I'm sure that's just a lot of hassle for everyone)

I wouldn't offer them anything at all for 12 year old carpets whether or not damaged by your cats. When wear and tear is taken into account the carpets can be assumed to be valueless. If you have been good tenants for 8 years they should thank their lucky stars they've had you.

If they get arsey about it, raise a dispute with the TDS and let them decide. I would be amazed if the LL got anything.
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X