Can tenancy agreement be ended if property is sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can tenancy agreement be ended if property is sold

My tenant has a 'bare contractual tenancy'. What is the position if I decide to sell the property before the end of his agreement? Can I serve notice for him to leave?
    Thanks

If you have agreed a fixed term you cannot end it without the tenant's agreement.

Comment

You could still put the property up for sale, and aim to exchange when the tenancy comes to an end if there is not long left on it, or sell it with the tenant still in place.

Comment

Thank you both, that's what I needed to know!

What would the position be if I wanted to move into the property myself?
        Last edited by Thyrsis; 15-07-2010, 17:58 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by Thyrsis View Post
          Thank you both, that's what I needed to know!

What would the position be if I wanted to move into the property myself?
          It would be the same.

Comment

again, you could only move into it yourself when the tenancy comes to an end- you can't end it early. It may be worth speaking to the tenant, because you never know, they may just be willing to move out early if their circumstances allow.

Comment

Originally posted by bry123 View Post
              you can't end it early.
              Except that L can, if T commits a breach.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X